Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Taco bell will not take orders or cash

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I find only a few yard sales will take a credit card. The ones that do are more of a retail operation or an estate sale company than an actual yard sale.

I also find many businesses are more likely to drop a price if you're paying cash.jtk
    A number of gas stations around here charge a few pennies less (per gal) if you pay cash.
    But you have to "go inside" to pay and then (in theory) you will be subject to impulse buying that Slim Jim and Big Gulp.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I hope you mean 10-20% of the delivery charge, not the appliance cost! In my case, since I bought the refrigerator from Costco and delivery was free, I used the cash I had on-hand.
    Yes, for few seconds I thought he meant a percent of the price, but then decided it had to be % of delivery fee.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Edwin, I’m sure you are right ,but there is a lot of nutty stuff in that reference. And the gov. demanded all the real gold be turned in
    when it decided that they wanted all of it. So that means it’s better than paper. That’s why THEY hoard it. When you really think about
    it Gov. works like the guys in the western movies who only want the gold in the buck-board . They always let the driver keep his Confederate
    money, and it’s not because of a warm heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Edwin, I’m sure you are right ,but there is a lot of nutty stuff in that reference. .
    That's the official Federal Reserve site, so it's not "nutty" in actual facts, even if one might think some things are not what they thought they are. The bottom line is that the Federal Reserve says that businesses are not required to accept cash but by statute US money (cash) is legal for settling debts if they choose to accept it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No, look up “legal tender” it means it can’t be refused. The point is you can not demand money ….only fiat money, AKA paper .
    People were smart when gold was in circulation…..when was the last time you bit down on a coin to make sure it was silver or gold ?
    Used to be common practice.

Mel, your comments got me to look into this a little further, and it is an interesting topic, not particularly simple.

Some of the things I've learned:

- There is no federal mandate that a business must accept cash

- A handful of states have enacted mandates that require businesses to accept cash. One of the primary reasons is that over 7 million households do not have a checking account let alone a credit card. Many of these households are economically disadvantaged, so the idea of mandating cash acceptance is a form of protection for them.

- Arizona (where I live) has a bill pending that would mandate cash. I found an article from the AZ State Law Journal that discusses the issue.

- The law journal article addresses the Legal Tender argument, which refers to legal tender as settlement of a debt. So the question becomes when is the transaction a debt? Certainly once you have finished a meal and now must pay the bill. But not if you are ordering coffee to go and have not yet taken receipt of a good or service. So in the former the legal tender case may apply but in the latter it does not. Seems to me most all online transactions are occurring before receipt of the good or service, so maybe that's why the legal tender argument is not applicable there?

https://arizonastatelawjournal.org/2...cash-payments/

One of the issues here is competing rights. Should the customer have the right to pay in cash if they want, or should the business have the right to deem that it will not accept cash and thus it becomes the customer's choice whether or not to patronize that business? I kinda see both positions.

Another article about this from the Pew Charitable Trusts : https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/researc...n-these-states

Interesting topic. Personally I'm sympathetic to the people who have no real alternative other than cash. But I do see the advantages to a business of being cashless, if they can do so and keep their customers.

Going into an Amazon Fresh store is a real trip. Scan your phone QR code on the way in from the Amazon app, pick out your items and simply walk out. The cart and sensors all over the store know what you've taken so there is no checkout. It's a little bizarre; you feel like you're just helping yourself and walking off.

I got my taxes done and got the refund already. Not due here until Oct 15 due to some disaster law.
    There was a statement in the paperwork that the IRS will not take a check for more then 100 million dollars. If you owe more contact them to arrange how to pay. Not a problem many people have.
    BilL D

They shut it down but how about tipping the delivery robots? Drones no way to do it but the wheeled robots could take cash home I suppose.
    Bill D

Edwin,I haven’t read much money lately so I don’t know what it is now selling . But “ legal tender” has alway meant that, by fed law
    you must accept it. USA is not the only country to make their money THE only kind of money. I guess we are now so far away from
    “real money” that people just don’t know or care as long as the system is working. When “silver certificates “ , were still used , they had
    a short statement saying, You could turn in your silver certificates for real silver coins. I don’t think we will see that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Not at the kiosk. They have a bell you can ring at the counter if you insist on cash. A manager will open up the register and take care of the transaction, but there have been a few times that there have been signs indicating no cash transactions because of staffing. More and more businesses are less interested in cash, too, because (for them) the electronic transactions are more secure and not easily affected by employee theft.

In all honesty, I don't have even a single dollar of cash on me right now...I gave a gratuity to the two guys who delivered our new refrigerator last week and that used up the very small amount of "emergency" cash I keep stashed in my wallet. I use ApplePay or a card for pretty much all retail and online transactions. That's not everyone's cup of tea I understand, but I prefer the convenience of using my watch to pay over digging into my wallet.
    Same for me Jim, I now just keep a bit of cash in my wallet for tips or panhandlers.

It’s a lot more convenient to not use cash

I'd gotten a couple hundred dollars in cash for a Craigslist sale back before covid. I just made my first trip to the ATM to get some more cash in over three years. Not necessarily intentionally, but I have for all intents and purposes gone cashless. Tapping the phone is way too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    A number of gas stations around here charge a few pennies less (per gal) if you pay cash.
    But you have to "go inside" to pay and then (in theory) you will be subject to impulse buying that Slim Jim and Big Gulp.
    New Jersey's non-chain gas stations mostly give a discount of 6 to 10 cents a gallon for cash. Payment is at the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Same. My only cash transaction is to my barber. He only accepts cash and checks. When he retires (he's 80) I will be cash free.
    That is funny in a way. I never go anywhere without $50 - $100 in cash. Just for use at the places that don't take credit cards. We have a few stores that take cash and debit and old fuddy that I am, I refuse to own a debit card. Plus that are just times that cash is easier to use, though those are dwindling.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blatter View Post
    That is funny in a way. I never go anywhere without $50 - $100 in cash. Just for use at the places that don't take credit cards. We have a few stores that take cash and debit and old fuddy that I am, I refuse to own a debit card. Plus that are just times that cash is easier to use, though those are dwindling.
    I'm 79 and find debit and credit cards with the tap function are much easier to use than cash these days.

Seems like a quarter of the time I try to use cards or Apple Pay, there is a "problem" with the systems, and I end up paying cash. I prefer cash, but cant argue with the convenience of Apple Pay.

Write a check, and any half-smart cashier has all the info they need to order new paper checks with your name and account number. They just run it through a reader that treats it like a debit transaction anyway.

My local McD's has a AI robot that takes the drive through orders. You have to speak quickly and clearly and end the order with a "that is all" or "that is it" to make sure it knows when you are done.

When you look at the actual demographics, what used to be a pyramid (people in each population group) now looks like a diamond. Not enough births to replace the older boomer workers retiring. Not laziness driving this shortage. Local Ford plant will take anyone with a heartbeat.

Someone come up with a reference for this alleged law about requiring anyone to take cash
    < insert spurious quote here >