Thread: Woodpecker's Ultra Shear Tools ?

Woodpecker's Ultra Shear Tools ?

Anybody have any feedback on these tools? Comments on their customer service? I'm particularly interested in feedback on their parting tool. Thanks
    "Only a rich man can afford cheap tools, as he needs to buy them again and again"

I have the parting tool. For me it works as advertised. No complaints about it.

I have a long history of purchasing Woodpeckers tools and their customer service is excellent. I own an MFT Square, a square which is made with tall shoulders for squaring up a Festool MFT (although it works well for other jobs also). I dropped it on my shop's concrete floor, sent it back to Woodpeckers. They repaired it and sent it back within a week just like new with no charge. I didn't even ask for free service. I would have paid because the square is a perfect 90 degrees and I know I can rely on it. I have had only one other instance of a need for their service but it was again responsive, quick, and resolved the issue. They also provide excellent technical support when you have a question. I don't think I would ever hesitate to buy a Woodpeckers tool if it was something I needed.

I don't have any experience with their tools - have often seen their advertising and been tempted a time or two to invest in some of their tools, but in the end they seem beautifully made but over engineered - at least for my uses. The parting tool is one - it looks like overkill for parting. I use two parting tools - both from D-Way tools - a thin, tapered parting tool that will get me through the bulk of the smaller stuff that needs parting - up to about 5 or 6 " Diameter. The thin (about 1/16") kerf is perfect for boxes where I want figured grain patterns to line up. The tapered blade keeps from binding. My other parting tool is a D-Way 1/8" tool - this thing can also be used like a very small skew...its great for larger forms - up to about 10" Dia. Any larger and I break out the MacNaughton straight blade and go to town - I've sliced off lids for bowls 18" in diameter with that beast.
    Take my comments with a grain of salt - I don't really buy into the value of carbide tools in general other than the Hunter tools and tend to prefer to spend the time sharpening rather than scraping.

Turning tools are like any other tool in terms of their usefulness. If you buy a tool and use it, it works well for you. Sometimes you find a better tool, but most times nothing works better than the tool that you are used to using and have had many successes with. I have never bought a Woodpeckers tool that wasn't accurate, precise, and high quality. Everything they produce is top notch and they support their tools with great service. The best tools, though, are those that work for you and you use them often. The second best tools are those that you might not use often but, when you do, you are always glad you have them.

I agree - they are nicely designed tools. I just think that there is a difference between well designed and over designed. This parting tool with the carbide insert is similar in design to metal lathe parting tools. It will probably last forever, but for me, I prefer a more robust handle on my 1/8” parting tool - better control for me. In all honesty, I use the thin parting tool more often than not - as long as I’m working with 3 or 4” diameter to part. The narrow kerf and tapered blade are perfect for the ‘fiddly’ stuff. To me, the handle looks too short and the carbide insert and it’s mounting is just another potential failure point that a simpler tool avoids.
    It’s horses for courses. My two parting tools will probably outlive me and they take seconds to sharpen (when they need it) so I don’t need to consider the options. If I need a more robust tool, the Macnaughton strait cutter in an 18” handle using the turret allows parting as large as my lathe will swing. At that size I finish with a hand saw.

I have their full size square, round, and diamond tools. Some of the first tools I bought, thinking I didn't want to sharpen. I very quickly migrated to traditional tools and sharpening. No fault of the ultra shears. They are of the highest quality. I still use them, mostly for roughing work. The diamond tool does make nice fine lines. But then so do skews and teardrop tools. I've given a lot of thought to selling the ultrashears, but can't seem to part with ANY of my tools. Maybe one day.