Thread: 1/2 inch round over router bit.

1/2 inch round over router bit.

I have a Katina 1/2 inch round over router bit with a 1/2 inch shank. I have been very happy with this bit. Now it is starting to burn the wood. I am sending it out to be sharpened, two weeks until it will be back. I need another bit ASAP.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Quality/Value re my goal.
    Thanks in advance, Kevin

I use whiteside router bits for the most part and get good results. Maybe take a look at their catalog.

Whiteside for me too. I have one of these that's over 20 years old that I used when building an addition on the barn. Whiteside sharpens bits too. I think I have their round over bits up to 3/4" radius. I run those in the big routers.

Third vote for Whiteside. Never failed to find the one I wanted on Amazon 2-day

I like my Freud Quadra-Cuts for rounding dowel ends. Whiteside for most everything else.
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.

Whiteside and other brand names have been good to me. If I need quick with reasonable quality, Yonko from Amazon has not disappointed me.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Buy most things from bits-and-bits. Usually their brand or Whiteside is all I buy. Same goes for CNC bits.

As Jim points out, the Amazon bits are good if you need it NOW, but set expectations accordingly. They will work on a few jobs and certainly the one you need it quickly, but they won't last as long. I usually chuck those after 2-3 jobs or when I start seeing burning/tearing.

You could always order another Katana bit (those and Whiteside are my favs). Unless you are close to a good woodworking supply store, anything will be an online order anyhow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Stump View Post
    I like my Freud Quadra-Cuts for rounding dowel ends. Whiteside for most everything else.
    I also like the Freud Quadra-cut bits, much smoother cuts and less tear out at reversed grain areas.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Freud bits for myself, been real happy with them. Get most of mine from Router Bit World, no affiliation other than a happy customer.

Dennis

Like Gordon, I have the Freud quadra-cuts for round overs (and dowel making) and Whiteside for just about everything else.