Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low Cost Cell Phone Networks

You make a good point about the cost of data. I leave mobile data turned off on my phone (with Tracfone service) unless I need to Google an address or something while away from home. At home, there is no mobile data usage because the phone connects with the wifi on our router to get directly on the internet. So I'm not even using the amount of data I'm paying for. It might not work out as well for someone else.

That's it, Alan...it really comes down to how someone actually uses their device. Some folks are voice and sometimes text, but don't really use much "data". Others are heavy "data" and "well, if you really have to call me, I might answer, but...". Folks who don't move around a lot and have good Internet access at home also may not need substantial mobile "Data" bandwidth since they will live mostly on WiFi while at home. All of these things have to enter into the comparisons and decision.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have been a Tracfone user for 20 years. I spend about $100 a year. You can get unlimited talk and text for $15 month. Think they give talk and text away cheap counting on you buying data to make their $$$. Im connected to WiFI at home and work so I use little data.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Tracfone - cheap and it works fine where I live.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    consumer cellular here switched to the $20.00 / month plan unlimited talk and text 1 gig data, I don't need data service just use wi-fi on my phone.
    These cell companies kind of kill me they all claim they have the best customer service, network coverage and fastest data .
    Like someone previously said there are limited communication networks out there and they all use the same two or three it is all just puffing the biz. I wish I could call someone to complain
    calabrese55

Quote Originally Posted by mike calabrese View Post
    consumer cellular here switched to the $20.00 / month plan unlimited talk and text 1 gig data, I don't need data service just use wi-fi on my phone.
    One vague annoyance with CC is the structure of the data tiers: 1GB, 5GB, 10GB etc. I typically use 1GB-1.5GB (non-WIFI) per month, almost all of it running Android Auto in the cars for navigation. So most months I can't quite fit in the 1GB tier, I have to bump up to 5GB. Only a couple bucks, but still...
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    One vague annoyance with CC is the structure of the data tiers: 1GB, 5GB, 10GB etc. I typically use 1GB-1.5GB (non-WIFI) per month, almost all of it running Android Auto in the cars for navigation. So most months I can't quite fit in the 1GB tier, I have to bump up to 5GB. Only a couple bucks, but still...
    Not sure how CC works but Tracfone you buy the data when you need it and you never lose it, It rolls over each month.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Not sure how CC works but Tracfone you buy the data when you need it and you never lose it, It rolls over each month.
    If CC's data rolled over, I'd already have more than a lifetime supply.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.