Thread: Mulberry wood for turning or anything else?

Mulberry wood for turning or anything else?

Have a friend who wants to give me some recently cut down mulberry rounds, knows that I turn. Not sure I have ever dealt with Mulberry, anybody know anything about it? Good wood, bad wood? Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Blog Entries
    I have seen lots of very nice looking turned Mulberry items. A friend uses Mulberry for mallet heads. I have used it for fenceposts and have a small log waiting to be processed. Take a look at the wood database website and Slicvcs page.

Mulberry | The Wood Database (Hardwood)
    Best Regards, Maurice

I like mulberry…turns and finishes nice.

I green turned some Mulberry into small bowls. Coated with PVA and now they are nearly dry. Can’t believe the amount of distortion, almost to the point of not being redeemable. Don’t know why, but makes me leery of turning any more.

Mulberry is okay from turning, but figured wood is susceptible to cracking. The yellow goes dull with age.

Blog Entries
    Here is a big one. I have admired it for a long time and happen to be working for the owner. I measured it today and pointed out to him that it is quite a bit bigger than our alleged state champion. Over 80 foot spread, 234 inch circumference. He recently took a big limb down and will burn most of it. I am going to ask for a chunk. It is the namesake for his adventure as a restaurant owner, The Mulberry Grill.

IMG_1376 2.jpg IMG_1378 2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Over 80 foot spread, 234 inch circumference.
    Six feet diameter trunk is a pretty respectable mulberry tree. Any idea how old it is?

Blog Entries
    The Arborist who recently took the limb off speculated that it was at least 60 years old. It looks older to me. I am curious to see how MDC will measure its circumference. It is one tree, but split nearly in two many years ago. I will shoot the height and try to figure out if it is a red or white Mulberry.

(no title)

IMG_1377.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-03-2023 at 8:43 AM. Reason: link from Purdue
    Best Regards, Maurice