Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Slab Slayer surfacing bit

R.I.P. Slab Slayer surfacing bit

Has anyone tried this spoilboard/surfacing bit, or this brand in general? I just learned of this and am hearing good things of the geometry of the inserts, the shape, and the reports that it runs cooler, but I found no mention of it on the Sawmillcreek forums.
    https://www.ripprecisiontools.com/pr...ayer-1-2-shank
    Bonus - I just realized these guys are within 20 miles of where I live... (Spring, Tx).

Regards,
    Brad
    Last edited by Brad Schmid; 04-23-2023 at 10:47 AM.

I've never heard of them, but it's a very attractive looking piece of tooling and if the quality matches what seems to be evident in the photo, it could be a good option. Maybe a field trip is in order for you? You know...for research to benefit the masses?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks like a mini version of the disks used on tree feller/bunchers.

https://www.loggingon.net/news/loggi...ller-bunchers/

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Schmid View Post
    Has anyone tried this spoilboard/surfacing bit, or this brand in general? I just learned of this and am hearing good things of the geometry of the inserts, the shape, and the reports that it runs cooler, but I found no mention of it on the Sawmillcreek forums.
    https://www.ripprecisiontools.com/pr...ayer-1-2-shank
    Bonus - I just realized these guys are within 20 miles of where I live... (Spring, Tx).

Regards,
    Brad
    Very interesting. I use an Amana insert surfacing bit, which works well. This one is $100 cheaper than the 2.5" Amana, so seems intriguing just on price alone. Improved performance would be an added bonus.

these post alwice coast me money but resestence is fitile.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I've never heard of them, but it's a very attractive looking piece of tooling and if the quality matches what seems to be evident in the photo, it could be a good option. Maybe a field trip is in order for you? You know...for research to benefit the masses?
    Ya know, that's a good idea! I think I'm going to give them a call this week and see if they have a real presence and are willing to have me come see. Will give me a reason to skip work too

From the thread title I thought your router tooling had bit the dust.
    No, haven't tried this brand but looks a serious piece of tooling.

No but the 3.75” surfacing bit may be in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Varley View Post
    Very interesting. I use an Amana insert surfacing bit, which works well. This one is $100 cheaper than the 2.5" Amana, so seems intriguing just on price alone. Improved performance would be an added bonus.
    Interestingly enough, the individual that told me about this also uses Amana surfacer bits (RC 2263 and 2265). He acknowledges the Amana is a good bit also but finds himself now using this one more often. The things he mentioned about this were slightly longer shaft, and the cutter geometry allowed it to run a bit cooler, and it has a wider cut path.

I would be worried about the engineering since they also sell a 1 3/8" surfacing bit with a 1/4" shank. The amount of chucking surface contact for that size cutter is a disaster looking to happen in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I would be worried about the engineering since they also sell a 1 3/8" surfacing bit with a 1/4" shank. The amount of chucking surface contact for that size cutter is a disaster looking to happen in my opinion.
    There are numerous, quality made surfacing bits offering 1-1/2” bits with 1/4” shaft. Respectfully I disagree with you. If you’re going to hog off 50 thou off an oak slab, this isn’t the best tool, but if it’s quality steel, it’s fine for a lot of tasks.

Richard makes a good point. I’ve used the 1/4 with large bits ,and one ,started to fly out like canary through an un-closed front door.
    I now tighten more tightly. You can ,of course , just really tighten down, but that wears out the collet . So really not suitable for ‘oft used ‘
    bits. Hope that helps …a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Richard makes a good point. I’ve used the 1/4 with large bits ,and one ,started to fly out like canary through an un-closed front door.
    I now tighten more tightly. You can ,of course , just really tighten down, but that wears out the collet . So really not suitable for ‘oft used ‘
    bits. Hope that helps …a bit
    Mel, you should always use a torque wrench, at a minimum, when using flycutters. You can get away with "good and tight" but you better be careful about DOC and chipload. As you say, too tight can damage the collet, but you'd be surprised to find that most quality made collets have recommended torques you can't easily get with the small spanner wrenches that come with them

Michael, I have never used “fly cutters”. Had to look them up ! I thought we talkin’ ordinary router bits !! Thanks for your caution.
    I hand ground shaper bits for years ,and also used corrugated. Incidentally I just happen to have 3 custom made 4 and 1/2 inch ( of
    slightly different sizes ) that make it possible to get the cut at exactly the right spot .

I guess you can get away with a 1/4" shank on a 1 1/2" surfacing bit, but why would you want to given a choice? Maybe it would be appropriate for a low powered router that will only accept 1/4" collets and will stall out before snapping the shank. I would be more comfortable with a larger shank in case of unplanned overloading. It's all too easy to specify an overly deep cut or high feed speed when designing a toolpath or plow into a hard knot or high spot in a hardwood slab. Even if a properly torqued collet will hold the bit the small shank will flex more under load and be at greater risk of breakage.