Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Slab Slayer surfacing bit

They offer the smaller tooling with .25" shank because there actually is a demand for it. There are some folks who need that combination and it's likely fine for very light duty work. That said, I personally wouldn't use that.

I'm actually trying to decide whether to use the current Amana insert cutter I have for my CNC (1.25") or to get something slightly larger for my slab flattening setup. Since I'm using a 12 amp DeWalt DW618 on that, It's not likely a good idea to go much bigger, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    They offer the smaller tooling with .25" shank because there actually is a demand for it. There are some folks who need that combination and it's likely fine for very light duty work. That said, I personally wouldn't use that.

I'm actually trying to decide whether to use the current Amana insert cutter I have for my CNC (1.25") or to get something slightly larger for my slab flattening setup. Since I'm using a 12 amp DeWalt DW618 on that, It's not likely a good idea to go much bigger, however.
    I have a 2.25" Amana surfacer. It does save a lot of time when flattening the spoilboard, but it can bog down the PC 7518 router on my Stinger with a heavy cut. You may be just as happy with a deeper cut on the 1.25" bit using the DeWalt. I wonder though if the Slab Slayer is a more efficient design requiring less power.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Michael, I have never used “fly cutters”. Had to look them up ! I thought we talkin’ ordinary router bits !! Thanks for your caution.
    I hand ground shaper bits for years ,and also used corrugated. Incidentally I just happen to have 3 custom made 4 and 1/2 inch ( of
    slightly different sizes ) that make it possible to get the cut at exactly the right spot .
    No worries, understood Mel. Cheers

Looks like a face mill cutter to me or a shell mill cutter. I suppose the angles are different for wood then metal.
    Bill D.

https://www.amazon.com/Cutter-Degree.../dp/B079QM82KY

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    I guess you can get away with a 1/4" shank on a 1 1/2" surfacing bit, but why would you want to given a choice? Maybe it would be appropriate for a low powered router that will only accept 1/4" collets and will stall out before snapping the shank. I would be more comfortable with a larger shank in case of unplanned overloading. It's all too easy to specify an overly deep cut or high feed speed when designing a toolpath or plow into a hard knot or high spot in a hardwood slab. Even if a properly torqued collet will hold the bit the small shank will flex more under load and be at greater risk of breakage.
    Kevin, you’re not wrong. I’m just saying if you’re surfacing an MDF spoilboard and you have a quality collet with little runout then you’re ok to use these in that circumstance.

Some also don’t have a choice using 1/2” so the demand is there when properly used.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    I have a 2.25" Amana surfacer. It does save a lot of time when flattening the spoilboard, but it can bog down the PC 7518 router on my Stinger with a heavy cut. You may be just as happy with a deeper cut on the 1.25" bit using the DeWalt. I wonder though if the Slab Slayer is a more efficient design requiring less power.
    Yes, that's the concern I have on the flattening setup. The 1.7kw spindle on my Stinger II could handle a larger tool for spoil board work, but for whatever reason I bought the 1.25" cutter "way back when". I rarely cut more than a mm or two for depth of cut anyway.
    --

Jim if you’re only taking 0.10-0.15 or so for a maintenance cut on your MDF spoilboard I think you’re fine. Maybe next time when you make a new board pickup a larger 1/2 shank 2-1/2” fly cutter. If for no other reason than that it finishes the whole board faster

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    They offer the smaller tooling with .25" shank because there actually is a demand for it.
    Demand does not make it safe. Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 7.00.14 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-04-23 at 7.00.30 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-04-23 at 7.00.50 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-04-23 at 7.01.04 PM.png

Whoa, Nellybelle. I'm glad I wasn't in the room for those rapid unscheduled deformations.

I have a CMT surfacer but it's a 12mm shank. My cnc has a spindle so finding a 12mm collet is easy. I don't know if you can find one for a router. It's 2 3/8" diameter with carbide inserts for about $75. I've used mine for sufacing my spoil board and flatting plenty of slabs without any signs of wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Demand does not make it safe.
    I don't disagree and said I'd never use something like that. But remember, there are people out there who will do things that many, if not most of us, would not consider.
    --

Update:
    I called and talked to one of the 2 owners of the R.I.P. business. They do not have a storefront. They don't do a lot of marketing, but what they do is mostly via Social media. They have their "roots" in the metal working side of the bit business. To make a long story shorter, basically they do not have any in house manufacturing. The tooling up cost to get started was just too expensive, therefore they contract their product (currently about 70 different bits) out for manufacture. However, the good thing is, they contract out the majority of their bits to US manufacturers with a few being sourced to manufacturers from Portugal, Spain and i believe he said Syria. The only reason those few are sourced outside the US is because they couldn't find the tooling and expertise with US manufacturers to make those specific bits to their requirements. None are sourced from China. Contrast that with Amana, I understand those are sourced also some from Portugal and many from China.

I have placed an order with them for the 2.5 inch Slab Slayer (1/2" shank) bit. I'll be looking forward to giving it a try.
    Last edited by Brad Schmid; 04-24-2023 at 3:42 PM.

I don't disagree either, but I do have a problem when people say quality, US steel bits are too expensive and then complain when the cheap bits, like those above, break or bend. Even this is in the context of using properly. Some of the pictures above have a straight cut bit proud by > 1" from the base LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Schmid View Post
    Update:
    I called and talked to one of the 2 owners of the R.I.P. business. They do not have a storefront. They don't do a lot of marketing, but what they do is mostly via Social media. They have their "roots" in the metal working side of the bit business. To make a long story shorter, basically they do not have any in house manufacturing. The tooling up cost to get started was just too expensive, therefore they contract their product (currently about 70 different bits) out for manufacture. However, the good thing is, they contract out the majority of their bits to US manufacturers with a few being sourced to manufacturers from Portugal, Spain and i believe he said Syria. The only reason those few are sourced outside the US is because they couldn't find the tooling and expertise with US manufacturers to make those specific bits to their requirements. None are sourced from China. Contrast that with Amana, I understand those are sourced also some from Portugal and many from China.

I have placed an order with them for the 2.5 inch Slab Slayer (1/2" shank) bit. I'll be looking forward to giving it a try.
    Where is the slab slayer sourced from? Do they have engineers on staff or outsource that too? I have little confidence on a company that centers its marketing on social media. I actually refuse to look at social media ads and not exactly a company that markets to professional shops where bits really get tested. You get what you pay for from China. Ask for dirt cheap and you get that, ask for high quality certified and you get that.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 04-24-2023 at 4:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    There are numerous, quality made surfacing bits offering 1-1/2” bits with 1/4” shaft. Respectfully I disagree with you. If you’re going to hog off 50 thou off an oak slab, this isn’t the best tool, but if it’s quality steel, it’s fine for a lot of tasks.
    Could you please link to those companies that sell high quality 1 1/2bits with 1/4" shanks. If you read my first post I reject the 1/4" shaft due to the small amount of contact area in the collet, not the steel.