Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Commissioning A3-31 vs. A3-41

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Catts View Post
    The tech and I were certain we had the tables coplanar but after I truly got it back together discovered that the infeed end was a bit low. I can live with that and have not messed with it further. I really would like it to be coplanar so that I don't need to be so deliberate when jointing, but I manage and am getting good joints.
    Steve the infeed table height is a simple fix that won't have any affect on any other settings. Looking at the photo the red pin is the stop and that needs to move slightly. Get the table as high as you can and release the two clamp nuts joined by the blue line then allow the adjustment handle to drop a bit then tighten the two clamp bolts and bring the table up until the table won't lift any further. It will require more than one go unless you are incredibly lucky but it will fix your problem.

A3 Table Adjustment20230428_122546 - Copy.jpg
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I have the A3-31. It arrived very well aligned and I have had a little reason to do anything to adjust it in the 10 years I’ve owned it. It is used almost daily. The only thing I’ve done is turn the knives and applied grease where appropriate.

I've had the A3-31 for what, 3 years or so? Mine didn't arrive perfectly set up. But it was close enough to use. About 6 months ago I decided to tackle attempting a perfect setup. I spent 3 days, on and off, and finally had what I thought was perfect. I was wrong. So back to the set up. It took a while but I finally got it almost perfect, probably as good as it was when it first arrived.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Thanks for all the responses. I'm still on the cusp as analysis paralysis has set in about which to pick (which is a good problem to have!)
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. I'm still on the cusp as analysis paralysis has set in about which to pick (which is a good problem to have!)
    31 vs 41?

"I wish I had 4 less inches" said Nobody

I really wish I went 41 it waa 1,000 at the time. I looked into selling mine and upgrading at 1 point but figured it would cost 2500

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    31 vs 41?

"I wish I had 4 less inches" said Nobody

I really wish I went 41 it waa 1,000 at the time. I looked into selling mine and upgrading at 1 point but figured it would cost 2500
    For jointing, both are plenty wide enough, but I have to agree, 12" is a bit small for a thickness planer of this caliber IMHO. It would be a no brainer for me unless of course funds/space were a limit, then 31 is still a VERY good compromise.

I purchased an A3-41 after Christmas and received it in March. The extensions were back ordered and I finally received them last week. The setup and tolerances of the machine was pretty accurate straightforward and the machine does not have any dips or imperfections. The beds need thorough cleaning and several coats of wax. A creeker noted about the finish on top that it is not that great and they might have missed a step. I would have to agree that the top finish could be much better for this machine. My previous jointer was. DJ20 and its top when waxed was slick and smooth. The A3-41 while it is smooth is not comparable to my old DJ20.

I had the same concern of the machine being out of alignment and requiring a tech to fly in and adjust the machine and paying another $1000+ . I decided that I would purchase the machine and take a wait and see approach.

You can PM me if you have any other questions.

Cheers

Thanks Rick and all. And lol-George, that's spot on...I'm leaning heavily toward cry once with the A3-41. My sense from SMC and elsewhere is that nearly all folks are happy with their machines (or that any issues were within reason), but that some folks got lemons. At least some of the noise on-line about both build quality and quality of service from Felder seems to date to Covid times. But getting a 900 lbs lemon stinks. Just much less out there on Minimax, presumably because they are not selling as many units. The pricing difference is enough that MM is out for me, though if it was close, I'd definitely consider.

I have some travel coming up and want to make sure it arrives when I'm here. I also want have time to put it through the paces shortly after delivery so any issues are addressed straight-away. I am planning to cross my fingers and see how it looks rather than paying for the commissioning up front.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra