Thread: modems and routers

modems and routers

Do internet service providers have requirements regarding compatible modems and routers or do they all work? We have ViaSat for our internet and was wondering.

Not a Viasat customer and hopefully one will give you some first-hand experience.

I don't think there is a definite answer that covers all providers for the modem part of the question. My feeling is that you are best to stick with what Viasat provides because the modem has to talk to their other end and do what it expects to get connected and this could be product specific.
    For the router, you can very likely plug any router into one of the LAN ports on the Viasat box and expand the number of LAN outlets, wireless range, or whatever.

It's Internet provider specific and the technology the provider uses also matters. Some require certain technology; some are more agnostic.

For my fiber to the home from Verizon, the optical network terminal belongs to VZ and is part of their managed network. Anyone who has the service has that device and has to provide a power outlet for it. From there in, a customer can use their own choice of router or rent/buy a router from VZ. Some new customer deals provide the router at no cost, but it's still VZ owned. I happen to use EERO mesh equipment for my internal network, even though I have a VZ provided router. (it was "free" and is still in the box)

Cable type services do require modems; sometimes they are sold/rented by the carrier and sometimes one provides their own.

Satellite is a whole 'nuther animal and it may or may not require specialized equipment on the consumer side, at least to translate the signal to something that's acceptable for a router to use.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you, I'm reading conflicting answers on-line. (surprise?) Some say, yes modern modems will work, others say you have to use their modem but can plug your own router into the Ethernet ports. Since I'm paying 12.95 a month rent for the combo modem/router I'm reluctant to add my own router. I'm not sure it will make much different to the speed since I'm plugged into the modem/router with a Ethernet cable and do get faster speeds than by using the WIFI function.

I have Ziply fiber, and they provided both a fiber converter box that converts the optical fiber to a standard Cat 6 connection, and then a separate wireless router. I sent the router back and hooked it to my existing network (Ubiquity router and APs). It saves me a few dollars a month in router rental fees.

As a side note, the Ubiquity APs require a management application to run on a PC on your network in order to monitor the network or make configuration changes. I've had some issues with certain devices not being able to connect to the Ubiquity network, primarily my Honeywell thermostat. I am going to be testing some Aruba APs that are cloud-managed, so they don't require a management PC on site. The new APs are Wifi 6 capable, so they will work great with the latest phones and devices. I should be deploying the APs over the next month or so.

Blog Entries
    When wVerizon modem since they didn't want it back and the fiber company provided a modem, that hooked into our existing router. They would have provided a router if we didn't already have one. I don't know if there was an additional charge for the fiber company router.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Dave, a "modem" is a very specific device tied to a specific communication distribution method. The modems used for sat service are different than those that are used for cable TV (coax) type distribution plants. Fiber doesn't even use a "Modem".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As others have noted, this is specific to each particular provider. Here's an article reviewing equipment compatible with Viasat. You can easily find others. I would confirm compatibility of a candidate modem with my provider.

Thank you Jay, excellent article and great advice.