Thread: Bad Axe toolworks weekend seminar?

Bad Axe toolworks weekend seminar?

Anyone had a chance to go to one of the weekend seminars that Bad Axe toolworks puts on? I live fairly close to them and am going to try attending one this summer.

I want to increase my handsaw sharpening and maintenance game which has never been that great and it looks like fun. Just wondering if anyone had feedback on the experience

I've not been to one of their seminars, but I did take a weekend-long class on Saw filing given through the Connecticut Valley School of Woodworking (here in Connecticut) and taught my Matt Cianci

www.thesawwright.com

I cannot say enough about the value of doing this, I've messed around with saw filing for many years, and got myself to the point where I could passably sharpen a saw as long as it was dull, but otherwise in good shape and just follow the old teeth, sharpening as I go, but I never really had the process down pat. For me, being shown by somebody who really knows their stuff was really helpful.

I took my class the weekend before the world stopped turning back in March of 2019 (Covid). We each were to bring a crosscut saw and a rip saw. I brought a nice pair of D8s that are my general users. During the pandemic I had a lot of time to practice and now I do it pretty well (I'm no master at it for sure).

For me, it gave me the confidence to sharpen saws and to be sure they'll turn out okay, before it was sort of a crap shoot. The only downside is that now that I feel more confident about sharpening, nice saws seem to sense this and they follow me home from flea markets, yard sales, and antique stores.

Matt does travel and may well be around where you are eventually, but really, it's not rocket science and I am sure that the folks at Bad Axe would be great teachers.

DC

Yeah that's my thought too, in person instruction and experience with experts cant be replicated. I also talked to Mark at Bad Axe and put in a saw order, he's going to let me help him do the final work on the saws in person and Ill just take them home with me after the seminar, so that'll be fun and interesting too.

I have been wanting to go to one for a long time and live close enough, just have not gotten around to it yet. Mike Seimsen does a saw sharpening class near here as well which would likely be what I do instead.

Im all signed up for the 2 day weekend class in June, Ill have to post a review or summary or something when it's finished.

Great! Please let us know what you think of it. I'm sure you'll have a good time and learn all the things!

DDC

I happened to have just visited their shop in Superior Weds afternoon. Had a chance to meet with Cass and Katie. Both were terrific and seem really passionate about their work. I just love to see that in a small business. The saws are fantastic. I had a chance to try a few in some white oak. My sawing was horrible but not because of the saws. I had hoped to get a sense for the difference between my Veritas saws (dovetail and carcass) and a premium saw. Wow, the difference is significant!

If you have a chance to attend their workshoop, I can guess you'd find it very informative. These folks are the real deal.