Thread: Easy way to center a square

Easy way to center a square

I had an old timer to show me this trick several years ago. It's an easy and quick way to get the center point on a square blank for centering in a lathe. Just rip a piece of scrap 1/16" narrower than half the width of your square blank. Lay it down on the bench against the blank and make a mark across the end of the square. Do this 4 times,turning your square, and you have a center point. Ths eliminates dragging out the tri-square and holding it up on end fumbling around trying to mark it. Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Since it's square, how about just drawing diagonals? Any straight edge will work - I usually grab a wood scrap. Todd.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    Since it's square, how about just drawing diagonals? Any straight edge will work - I usually grab a wood scrap. Todd.
    This other way is faster for me, especially if you have a mountain of them to do, 100 or so at a time. Try it, you'll like it. Steve

Another version of steves method..

use a marking gauge, set to aprox. the midpoint, and scribe from all 4 sides...is easy to judge the center of the resulting small square...quicker than marking diag., and no cutting of a gauge block....
    Use this method all the time....
    Whatever works for you, is the best method of all...

Roger