Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever have one of those projects?

Do you ever have one of those projects?

I saw an end table online. I commented to my wife, she wanted to see it and then she asked me to make one similar. So, I agreed to do it.

I made the rough drawing, had some red oak (plywood and solid) left over from a previous project and began the build. Unfortunately, I missed a "minor" execution detail and left a 1/4" routed dado exposed. The end table is made from red oak. Hardwoods are terribly expensive locally, IMO. I couldn't just toss the thing. So this project set on my outfeed table for 2 years before I became motivated to figure out a potential fix to cover my earlier mistake. I was able to mill and rip some small trim that covered the exposed ends (both sides on the end table) of the dado. Now, my wife decided she wanted me to stain that red oak. I tried to convince her into accepting the natural red oak but was unsuccessful in my attempt. So I sanded, applied a pre-stain conditioner and then applied the stain. I lightly sanded and began the poly application procedure. I am still not happy with the finishing (stain or poly) results but the wife loves it. I quit.

I, nearly always, apply a small brass plate to the project stating for whom it was made, date it was finished and my initials. I ordered a brass plate from a local engraving shop and picked it up today. I applied some blue tape in a discrete place on the end table, found the center of the end table and marked it on the tape. Applied 2 vertial pieces of tape slightly wider apart than the length of the plate, measured down from the top and marked the 1 1/4" line on both pieces of the vertical tape. I removed the paper from the double-side tape on the plate, aligned it with the two marks, stuck it to the end table, drilled the holes and screwed it to the back of the end table. Then I removed the tape.

Then and only then did I look closer and it was mounted slightly skewed.

I tried to remove it but getting that thin brass off with destroying it is impossible. It's not expensive at all but I thought I'll just leave it to show our family after my demise that even with the best intentions, things don't always go well!

Ugh!

Photos tomorrow after I bring it in from the shop.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-27-2023 at 9:42 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

A person I worked with years ago used to say " Everything I make starts out museum quality on paper".

At the shop I belong to we have a saying. We spend Wednesday fixing Tuesday's mistakes.

In the middle of one of those now. Can't get the inset drawers and doors right on an entertainment center that I prefinished and had together. Earlier this week the options were remake some pieces, take apart and try to fix or burn it. Couldn't get apart, now down to make some new pieces to try and fix or burn it. Oak is expensive but could roast some hot dogs if I burn it. See what tomorrow brings

Problems happen and are usually solvable. All of us know that.

It's the skewed brass plate that would drive me crazy. I think I would have to rip it off and have a new larger one made that would cover the scars of the first one. If I didn't, every time I saw it, I would wish I had.

BTW- I can TOTALLY relate to the 2 year "on the shelf" thing. I've got one that might be over 30 years. I won't give up!!! Good luck.

For every project I do, there is a limit on the cumulative number of errors that I can make before I toss it.
    < insert spurious quote here >

As much as problems cause angst initially, finding clever fixes brings great satisfaction!

Every one of mine is seemingly like that...

Relax ! You said your Wife loved it. Goal achieved ! : > )

I find the easiest way to forget about the mistakes in my projects is to work on the next one. Once that's filled with issues only I notice, I don't have enough brain capacity to remember the issues with the previous project(s).

Going from being critical of a project in the shop to generate a better end product (such as noticing swirl marks and sanding them out, or noticing an issue with a glue up that means you cut it out and re glue) to appreciating the end result without not picking the issues isn't always the easiest transition. If I wasn't critical of my work, I'd never get better at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Problems happen and are usually solvable. All of us know that.

It's the skewed brass plate that would drive me crazy. I think I would have to rip it off and have a new larger one made that would cover the scars of the first one. If I didn't, every time I saw it, I would wish I had.

BTW- I can TOTALLY relate to the 2 year "on the shelf" thing. I've got one that might be over 30 years. I won't give up!!! Good luck.
    Dave, I put that brass plate on the back where I won't see it except for the couple times a year I get back there to vacuum.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Remember: Employees here are expected to seek the best solution to the job at hand, and expidite it's progress. However when you are up to your butt in snapping alligators, it's hard to remember you came to drain the swamp! Same applies to woodworking.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Dave, I put that brass plate on the back where I won't see it except for the couple times a year I get back there to vacuum.
    Well then, That's very different.

Never mind.

Made a small tray for the coffee table, to put drinks on, as a project to do with my daughter. Came out OK, except for a hard-to-see line across it where my sanding went awry. When my partner asked me about it, I said, "That was a mistake." Done.

Two years is nothing. I got an email last month from someone who purchased my book on harpsichord building. He started building his harpsichord (not the one described in my book) in 1987 - he just finished it. He sent a photo and it looks nice.
    I asked if he was planning to build another one and he said no because he won't live that long.
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.