Thread: Guitar making resources, please

Guitar making resources, please

Hi- Many years ago, perhaps 40-50, I build a few classical guitars. Now I'm considering building a pair of guitars, a steel string and a classical. I'd appreciate it if folks would post relevant resources, books, internet groups, supply sources etc. It would help me to consider this project. Thanks, in advance, for your help. -Howard

Blog Entries

Thank you, Maurice. -Howard

Stew-Mac has just about any part or tool you need.
    https://www.stewmac.com/

I've made a few. Here are the resources I found invaluable:

Luthiers Merchantile International (lmii.com). You can buy tone woods, fret boards, kits, tools.

Some tools can be more reasonably purchased from these sights:

Philadelphia Luthier Tools and Supplies (frets)
    Elmer Guitar

Stewmac is phenomenal for its breadth of products and jigs. However, it is almost always worth it to look for alternate sources for comparable products; they are out there, often at more favorable prices.

This book is also a wonderful resource for acoustic building: Natelson/Cumpiano: Guitarmaking: Tradition and Technology.
    I built my first acoustic without it, but it's a resource worth having.

But far and away, the best resource is the "telecaster equivalent of Sawmill Creek": tdpri.com. If you think the audience here is supportive and experienced, you'll be similarly impressed with tdpri. It's not JUST for tele's. They have a "Tele Home Depot" forum where people post their build threads for acoustics and all manner of electrics all the time. There are a couple users there (you'll identify them quickly) who are extremely generous mentors who can give you specific ideas and critiques on all aspects of any build.

Last, I suggest you also post your build HERE on SMC. There are a few of us (many with way more experience than I) who can point you to specific resources and products (like binding jigs, binding tape, etc...)
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 04-28-2023 at 10:13 AM.

I second Prashun's recommendation for joining TDPRI and hanging out in the "Tele Home Depot" forum area which is dedicated to building your own...and as he indicated, the breath of what folks build is incredible. One fellow there named Freeman is the "bee's knees" of knowledge when it comes to almost any aspect of guitar building for acoustics and non-acoustics for sure, but there are many others with incredible knowledge.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I basically got a private DM master class from Freeman. He’s got a picture for literally everything.

Freeman is to tdpri as Jim is to smc

Blog Entries
    eBay has a surprisingly large selection of guitar wood and luthier supplies as well. Stew Mac and LMI are both excellent. Stew Mac has done a lot to promote the craft over the years including making Dan Erliewine's educational recourses available. Hibdon is another good resource.

Shop - Hibdon Hardwood, Inc.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 04-28-2023 at 5:54 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Freeman is to tdpri as Jim is to smc
    LOL...we both work to be helpful, but Freeman actually knows stuff.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have been sustainably harvesting and selling Oregon lutherie woods for a number of years. I am not really building guitars these days but I have a fair amount iof stock - esp. PO Cedar sets - from a blowdown tree

-cheers - Dave
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-16-2023 at 5:13 PM. Reason: Removed commercial link...not permitted by TOS

The Musical Instrument Makers Forum mimf.com is a good resource.
    < insert spurious quote here >

The pragmatic luthier on Youtube is interesting to watch.