Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Email Address Questions

New Email Address Questions

I'm dumping AT&T for both Direct TV, and crappy (3.6Mb) internet. I went with T-Mobile's 5G internet, and so far am VERY HAPPY! Though slow by many standards, I now have 40Mb service for more than ten bucks a month less than I was paying AT&T. This means I will need a new internet address. Any suggestions as to who to go with, or avoid, based upon experiences.

Gmail is the standard.

Gmail is good. I am still on Yahoo because I have had that address since 2003 or so and my customers are used to it, but I have a gmail account that I use for backup. I forward all my business receipts to that address so I'll still have them if Yahoo goes away.

I don't know of any reason to use something other than Gmail. I do have a legacy Yahoo address that I use for sites that I expect are going to send me spam. The mail for the web domain names I own is managed through Gmail. I'd always keep an address on at least one other service, no harm in having multiples email accounts-- I use at least six to keep different kinds of activities separated.

gmail. Works. Easy. Good spam filtration. Nice integration with their calendar and other resources, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

When I had the same problem, I went with Outlook because I have an Office 360 subscription which apart from all the MS Office apps provides 1TB of cloud (OneDrive) storage. It also has contacts, calendar, etc. Of course, this costs a few dollars a year but you get the the latest apps and lots of cloud. Gmail is certainly popular and would work fine.

I have a gmail address I seem to have gotten when I activated a Pixel phone. I hardly use it. I'm maybe silly but I don't want Google embedded in every aspect of my life. The European email providers appear a little more respectful of privacy. Bruce, you've discovered why it's a good idea to have an email address not tied to your ISP.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 04-30-2023 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I don't know of any reason to use something other than Gmail.
    Privacy mostly. I've got a gmail account, and have had for decades, but if I was looking today I'd consider an encrypted provider that doesn't read my email to craft ads.

Our former cable provider did away with email services. I am the computer guru/email secretary for our home. That eliminated the last defense I had for not changing to Dish Network. My wife changed us to Dish for television and I set up a gmail account. It works well. Of course, I also had to change the email address at about 64 or 65 accounts IIRC.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-30-2023 at 6:45 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

You could check out hush mail. My wife uses it and likes it

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    Privacy mostly. I've got a gmail account, and have had for decades, but if I was looking today I'd consider an encrypted provider that doesn't read my email to craft ads.
    I don't use the web interface so I may be missing where this shows up, but I've never seen an ad of any kind associated with Gmail, much less a targeted one. It looks like any other IMAP/POP provider, completely ad-free.

If I need to keep something confidential I certainly wouldn't put it into an email, no matter the provider. One-on-one conversation with a mask on, in a huge open area outdoors, adjacent to a roaring waterfall might be OK.

I use Comcast/Outlook for serious things like banking and medical. Gmail for just about everything else.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have a couple yahoo accounts and a Gmail. I don't use yahoo at all. It gets nothing but spam. A lot of it.
    Gmail has always done a great job of filtering the junk mail out.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    I'm dumping AT&T for both Direct TV, and crappy (3.6Mb) internet. I went with T-Mobile's 5G internet, and so far am VERY HAPPY! Though slow by many standards, I now have 40Mb service for more than ten bucks a month less than I was paying AT&T. This means I will need a new internet address. Any suggestions as to who to go with, or avoid, based upon experiences.

Bruce
    My email address is ronselzer@att.net, I have not had att service for around 14 years. See no reason to change anytime soon either.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Bruce
    My email address is ronselzer@att.net, I have not had att service for around 14 years. See no reason to change anytime soon either.
    Ron
    I agree; you probably can keep your current email address and avoid a lot of issues in changing. I did change mine 18 months ago and I still run into websites that I have to re-register on.