Thread: Excess rotational play in table saw motor??

Excess rotational play in table saw motor??

I bought a SKIL 3310 about 8 years ago and it has had very little use until this year. I have noticed some rotational play in the motor and would like to know whether this is normal or indicates a problem.
    I posted a video at https://bit.ly/3AE8PY4 and below.
    Thanks for any comments or advice.

That must have a gear drive off an induction motor. All gears have some backlash. If you never added grease to the gear train then it probably has some wear on the gears. Adding grease now will not improve the backlash.

If it's gear drive then as Richard said it's likely just backlash in the gears. Not really a problem for a table saw drive since the lash will be taken up as soon as it's running. If it's belt drive, you may have a worn key or keyway or a loose setscrew on one of the pulleys. I'd check all the setscrews and if they're tight, I wouldn't worry about the lash.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blade mounts directly to the motor. 8 years on a $150 table saw is great, don't worry until you have to change brushes.

Motor with gear drive

I found a photo of the motor online and it looks like there is a gear drive, which would explain the backlash. I really thought this inexpensive saw had a simple motor with the blade mounted directly on the rotor.
    Thank you for your quick responses.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Konrad Tinius; 05-01-2023 at 2:35 PM. Reason: Fix image