Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any frequant flyers

any frequant flyers

I'm gonna be flying for the first time in many years. It seems they now have boarding pass's that go on your phone instead of paper ones. The thing is it says I have to save my boarding pass with something called google Pay. I don't have that and don't want it. Isn't there a way to just get the boarding pass on my android phone with out google pay?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

If you have an iPhone, most mobile passes will save to your 1st screen application called a "Wallet" which is handy because you don't have to open the airline app, find your saved boarding pass and download it while in line. This usually takes downloading the application for the airline and joining their loyalty club, and most usually give you the option to save it to Apple Wallet. The mobile application will also give you text alerts when your row or group is boarding and if applicable, gate changes. The application will sometimes give you a map of the airport you are landing in, so you can navigate connections.

That all said, I try to use paper passes whenever possible, printing them from my landline, because sometimes, but rarely, the airline will decide to do me a favor an upgrade me to a row closer to the front, even if it was a middle seat. Heck, I don't mine being in back in a window seat, as I usually have plenty of time and a good book. I hate middle seats. If you print the boarding pass, the application will still give you boarding alerts and the other information above.
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    …Isn't there a way to just get the boarding pass on my android phone with out google pay?
    Search for an android app for your chosen airline. I’d bet there is one, and either the app or a airline customer service rep can walk you thru getting the boarding pass.

You could use Google Pay (or Apple wallet) to then ‘store’ the pass and its QR code on your phone. (It’s possible for the airline app to lose cell/Wi-Fi connection, and so the pass. You would have to see gate agent to recover.)

It seems they now have boarding pass's that go on your phone instead of paper ones.
    Depending on the airline, they may offer to print you a boarding pass when you are at the kiosk for printing your checked luggage tags. Spirit Airlines did it for free, but Frontier considers that "talking to an agent" and offered to charge me $25. I said no thanks to their offer. I displayed my boarding pass from the email they had sent me, and didn't have to download their app. The boarding pass was also available on the web page for the airline, again without installing their app.

Even though I consider myself tech savvy, I just like having the paper document that I know the gate agent can scan. It seems like there are so many additional variables in play when they are trying to scan a picture of a barcode on my phone.

You can still print you pass at home or when you check in at the airport, with the possible exception of some really low end airlines like EasyJet. Even they let you print your pass at home. I've flown on many different airlines and never run into one that required a specific app. I use either the airline app or the Apple Wallet. I'm sure there's an equivalent on Android.Most times the web sites will let you download the pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Search for an android app for your chosen airline. I’d bet there is one, and either the app or a airline customer service rep can walk you thru getting the boarding pass.

You could use Google Pay (or Apple wallet) to then ‘store’ the pass and its QR code on your phone. (It’s possible for the airline app to lose cell/Wi-Fi connection, and so the pass. You would have to see gate agent to recover.)
    I have the app but I can't see what it says about boarding pass until 24 hrs before flight.
    just what it says about saving to google pay , like I said dont have that and dont want it. Guess I'll just have to wait till a day before and see what happens.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    You can still print you pass at home or when you check in at the airport, with the possible exception of some really low end airlines like EasyJet. Even they let you print your pass at home. I've flown on many different airlines and never run into one that required a specific app. I use either the airline app or the Apple Wallet. I'm sure there's an equivalent on Android.Most times the web sites will let you download the pass.
    If I had a printer I would print my own, but I don't so its not an option
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I have the app but I can't see what it says about boarding pass until 24 hrs before flight.
    just what it says about saving to google pay , like I said dont have that and dont want it. Guess I'll just have to wait till a day before and see what happens.
    Initially was trying to stay out of the weeds, but some details:
    - I use SWA app for 20-40 RT/yr; its dirt simple after 1-2 uses. I even book flights by app.
    - I think most carriers require check-in (and boarding pass) no more than 24hrs before departure. Only reason I use printed pass is when I miss a flight, or a cancellation and have to re-book at the gate & agent prints it.
    - The Google app is perhaps simply a ‘wallet’ (I’m in Apple world, so ???) - like Apple wallet. I know of no requirement to ‘pay’ anything from it; it is just a graphic storage folder as I use it.
    - If the app ‘sees’ your reservation now, I think you are all set - - just check-in and get a pass when 24h window opens.
    - Once acquired, you can simply leave the app open in background with the pass visible - and skip the digital wallet. Only downside is if you close the app, lose power, etc - - and then have no connection when you queue up to board. Lot of gotchas have to align, but that is ‘how this goes wrong’.
    - Alternative, you can probably get the pass in app, do a screen capture of the QR code, and use that photo as your storage mechanism - - but never tried it, so caveat emptor.

Lots of options, both printed and digital, but this is my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Initially was trying to stay out of the weeds, but some details:
    - I use SWA app for 20-40 RT/yr; its dirt simple after 1-2 uses. I even book flights by app.
    - I think most carriers require check-in (and boarding pass) no more than 24hrs before departure. Only reason I use printed pass is when I miss a flight, or a cancellation and have to re-book at the gate & agent prints it.
    - The Google app is perhaps simply a ‘wallet’ (I’m in Apple world, so ???) - like Apple wallet. I know of no requirement to ‘pay’ anything from it; it is just a graphic storage folder as I use it.
    - If the app ‘sees’ your reservation now, I think you are all set - - just check-in and get a pass when 24h window opens.
    - Once acquired, you can simply leave the app open in background with the pass visible - and skip the digital wallet. Only downside is if you close the app, lose power, etc - - and then have no connection when you queue up to board. Lot of gotchas have to align, but that is ‘how this goes wrong’.
    - Alternative, you can probably get the pass in app, do a screen capture of the QR code, and use that photo as your storage mechanism - - but never tried it, so caveat emptor.

Lots of options, both printed and digital, but this is my experience.
    yea I guess its just wait and see
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

If you have the option of printing your boarding pass, you can save it as a PDF. Once you have it saved as a PDF on your phone, you can display it at the airport without the need for an app, Google Pay, or Apple Wallet or WIFI.

Usually the airline app will show the boarding pass with its bar code. All you need to do is take a screen shot of the pass and call that up when asked to show it. I've never stored a pass in google anything or apple wallet.

I don’t know of any airlines that issue a “boarding pass” before you reach the 24 hour window to departure.

once you reach that you’ll have a couple of options besides google pay - which tells me you don’t have an iPhone.

You can print a hard copy at home
    you can check in at the airport and they can print one
    you can have one emailed to you and print that or screenshot it and save to photos
    you can get within the airline’s app.

Blog Entries
    My wife and I have flown several times in recent years and have two trips booked for this year. We have never used Google play. Get the app for the specific airline you are flying and your ticket/boarding pass will show up there. You will also get flight updates. We've also flown with paper boarding passes issued at the check in kiosks. As noted above you can also print your own at home.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The photo of the QR code does work. But I just use Apple Wallet. It's real convenient that it pops up on your screen automatically when you are on line at the gate.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I'm old fashioned but I prefer paper. Make a couple copies so I should be able to find one. I don't see myself being without a printer. A simple monochrome laser isn't much money and can sit for months then turn it on and it prints. Inkjets can be another matter. I've stood in line waiting to board while a person ahead of me tried to get the gate reader to recognize the boarding pass on their phone. Perhaps newer phones with high resolution displays are better.