Thread: Panto Router

Panto Router

I have decided to buy this machine. Anyone on here have this and can offer advice on accessories that are not included in the Pro package that I should consider? Any other thoughts and observations appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cowan View Post
    I have decided to buy this machine. Anyone on here have this and can offer advice on accessories that are not included in the Pro package that I should consider? Any other thoughts and observations appreciated.
    I'm a fan of the PantoRouter. It took me a while to pull the trigger on it. I was afraid it was a bit of a fussy, newfangled device. But once you've wrapped your head around the operating principle of the thing, it becomes intuitive and opens up all kinds of opportunities for joinery.
    As to the accessories, it really depends on the kind of work you plan on doing. For me, I would opt for the segmented mortise and tenon kit, and the slot mortising jig. I have found uses for both.
    The auxiliary fence is a nice thing to have for angled work. But honestly, you could make one yourself if you are inclined. Use the slot mortising template for cutting the slots in it so it will pivot to your desired angle. I once ran into a situation where I need to cut round plugs for an odd size hole (7/16"). The dowel template with the appropriate combination of bit and bearing got me there, so you might consider the dowel templates also.

Here is a photo of the apron assembly for a six legged end table I am currently making. The integral tenons are stepped as you can see. The larger 2" high section was made with the segmented M&T template, and the smaller 3/4" section was made with the standard 1" template. The smaller tenon is a through tenon so it will show through the leg, while the strength is coming from the larger section which is thicker and has much more glue surface area. This joint was very easy and precise on the PantoRouter. It would have been much more difficult any other way available to me.
    Best of luck with your purchase

IMG_2843.jpg
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 05-13-2023 at 1:39 PM.

Good decision. The pantorouter is one of the most useful and versatile tools out there for furniture sized work. The swing stop is very handy if you do any type of work where you need numerous and repeatable tenons cut, and I don’t believe it is included in the pro package. Once you get the hang of it, you’ll find making shop made jigs opens up some possibilities. If you haven’t already, check out Ramon Valdez on YouTube. He has a few good videos showing how he uses the pantorouter.

Just got this machine in. Very well packed and the use and assembly instructions are first class. Hopefully I can remember to add some insight to this thread as I learn to use the machine.

I too thought the packaging and literature were very clear and detail oriented. This is one sign of a high quality vendor. I have also come to find out the owner of the PantoRouter company, Mac Sheldon, is very accessible and helpful. If you have an issues or questions, give him a call.
    My suggestion is to select some project and use it to get acquainted with the operating theory of the PantoRouter. For me it was a shop work table base with double mortise and tenon joints for the legs, through tenons on the stretchers, and lap joints for the top rails.
    Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    I too thought the packaging and literature were very clear and detail oriented. This is one sign of a high quality vendor. I have also come to find out the owner of the PantoRouter company, Mac Sheldon, is very accessible and helpful. If you have an issues or questions, give him a call.
    My suggestion is to select some project and use it to get acquainted with the operating theory of the PantoRouter. For me it was a shop work table base with double mortise and tenon joints for the legs, through tenons on the stretchers, and lap joints for the top rails.
    Best of luck.
    I am starting off with the cart designed for the Pantorouter.