Thread: Millers Fall 2-01 Chuck Rebuild

Millers Fall 2-01 Chuck Rebuild

I have a Millers Fall 2-01 eggbeater drill with a chuck that (I assume) is missing some parts. I haven't been able to find a diagram of what this particular model is supposed to look like, so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. There are several pictures attached, but the inside of the chuck current consists of three wedge shaped parts and a cup shaped spacer. I can loosen and tighten the chuck but the wedge pieces just float inside. They don't automatically retract or tighten around a bit. I suspect I'm missing some sort of spring mechanism but I don't know what that would look like. Has anyone seen this issue before? The drill has been in the family for as long as I know and I'm hoping to get it working to the point it's fun for my kids to use.Drill End.jpgDrill 2.jpgDrill 1.jpg

Look at this page:
    https://www.bob-easton.com/blog/oh-no-dont-chuck-it/
    You are missing three small springs.

I think I read the springs from Bic lighters will work, but I haven’t confirmed it.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

If you don't care to roll your own (literally) check out McMaster-Carr (McMaster.com). Search for precision compression springs. They are generally available in either stainless steel or black oxide coated steel (music wire). On the left of the screen there is a selector where you can scroll down and select the length, diameter, spring wire diameter and end treatment. They're a bit spendy, but you may find some that work just right.

DC

I’ll give the springs a try. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Boring View Post
    I’ll give the springs a try. Thanks!
    Steve, do you have a source for the springs?

BIC lighters have two springs. One is under the spark wheel. The other is under the red valve lever. My recollection is the one under the spark wheel is the correct diameter. Other lighters usually only have one spring.

If not, send me a PM with your mailing information and I can send you a set.

Otherwise, if need be, I can take apart one of my Millers Fall chucks to measure the springs for length.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Just had another thought on the spring length. The spings need to be short enough so they can collapse into the holes in the wedges (jaws) so the jaws can become fully closed yet long enough to fully open.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-14-2023 at 12:31 PM. Reason: words, words, words…
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Bill Rittner of Hardware City Tools sells replacement springs for this drill

Thanks, Jim. I’ll see what I can find for springs and get back to you.

In my drill, the holes are .14” dia and each about .17” deep. I think that means I’d need something with a maximum compressed length of <.34”. I’m curious to look into that more and will post what I find. Thanks, everyone