Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any options for a small bevel gauge?

Any options for a small bevel gauge?

Seems like the last decent option for a small bevel gauge at Blue Spruce is no longer available. Previously Vesper was the gold standard but he's no longer accepting orders.

I use the Shinwa with the bottom locking screw and it's pretty good. I also ordered the folding Shinwa with the knurled brass knob at the blade and immediately sent it back - it wouldn't hold the blade securely at all so made the tool worthless. I know Pec and Starrett have t-bevel gauges, but again, they're on the larger size and have the issue of using a slot to connect them vs a simple hole.

Crucible has a new bevel gauge out, but it's also on the larger size and I wouldn't want to have to always use a screwdriver to have to set it in any event.

So was curious if there was any hope for a decent, small bevel gauge - ideally with a bottom locking screw?

Vintage gauges are all typically on the larger size (8-10"). I did see one vintage gauge that was ideal - https://www.jimbodetools.com/product...l-gauge-89758u - but out of stock and would be nice if it wasn't more than a new LN bronze no. 4??

Honestly it doesn't seem like anyone is making any reasonable bevel gauge these days except the aforementioned Shinwa. Strange - but would love to be proven wrong. Happy to hear any thoughts. I occasionally make my own tools, but I'm not particularly gifted at it.

Has BS completely dropped them or are they just not making them now since they went to the stupid woodpecker build system?

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    But he’s no longer accepting orders on them.

I also make do with Shinwa, and traditional wood handle ones,

but I agree they could be improved. The Shinwa needs a screwdriver to hold the setting reliably.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Arthur View Post
    So was curious if there was any hope for a decent, small bevel gauge - ideally with a bottom locking screw?
    I'm with you, Dean. I couldn't get myself in the right place to spend that much $$ on the Vesper or the B Spruce, but - man - I came very close a couple times. I've searched a lot and never found a small one. When you do, please give us a heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    ..... the stupid ...... system?
    They speak highly of you, Tony

May we assume you were a regular customer of Blue Spruce back in the day, and are now dissatisfied with the products or service? Which are your favorite Blue Spruce tools? I've got several I really like. Be interested in your evaluation of your hoard.

I've never bought from Woodpecker, only because I wasn't looking for a product they had to offer. Apparently they've been petty doggone successful with their business model. Which would seem to indicate non-stupid. But I may be wrong about that.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    I'm with you, Dean. I couldn't get myself in the right place to spend that much $$ on the Vesper or the B Spruce, but - man - I came very close a couple times. I've searched a lot and never found a small one. When you do, please give us a heads up.

They speak highly of you, Tony

May we assume you were a regular customer of Blue Spruce back in the day, and are now dissatisfied with the products or service? Which are your favorite Blue Spruce tools? I've got several I really like. Be interested in your evaluation of your hoard.

I've never bought from Woodpecker, only because I wasn't looking for a product they had to offer. Apparently they've been petty doggone successful with their business model. Which would seem to indicate non-stupid. But I may be wrong about that.
    Perhaps not stupid but definitely inconvenient. I have a couple of bench chisels, three long paring chisels, a skew set, a large and small bevel square, the bevel setting block they had a while back, and most recently a square mallet. All of the products have been top notch. Probably would have had a full set of bench chisels but there was a problem with him getting them when I would have ordered. This was back in the day when Dave Jeske would answer the emails. My problem with the system is that unless you happen to need a tool when they’re producing it you’re in for a long wait. The small bevel came quickly because I ordered it when they were in a run of them. The square mallet took months because I had to wait for it to be in a run. The three tools I’ve ordered since the changeover have all seemed to be well made if that makes a difference.

Blog Entries
    I occasionally make my own tools, but I'm not particularly gifted at it.
    This may be your best bet for finding on that is affordable. The smallest Stanley made appears to be 6".

I made something similar:

Shop Made Fleam Gauge.jpg

This was to help keep a file at the same angle when sharpening crosscut saws. It wouldn't be too difficult to make one as a bevel gauge.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It seems to be a hole in the market - both currently and historically for some reason.

I use my smaller squares much more than my larger squares, and have been struggling to find anything comparable for bevel gauges. A larger bevel gauge is good for construction, but not ideal for fine woodworking or tool setup.

I recently had a small project that had a multitude of angles, and the 8" Shinwa bevel gauge was a bit awkward due to its size, and I only had the one - so got me back to looking for an option. That said, I really do appreciate a company like Shinwa for making tools that are quality but also reasonable. I love their aluminum engineer squares as they're light, cheap and accurate - same for their brass ones.

Not sure if BS stopped making them or not - just noticed last time earlier in the year I checked and it was a long lead time. Checking more recently it seems all the info has been scrubbed from their website so it doesn't look good. It's a shame because there are countless scraper, chisel, mallet, etc. makers - but seem to be a dearth of bevel gauge makers.

Ran across this home made one https://www.jroadman.com/instruments...g-bevel-gauge/ - seems like he was running into a similar issue finding something...

If there’s a consistent angle you are working to then you can always make a ‘square’ to that angle. Think like a dove tail marker.

Blog Entries
    I have several home made, small adjustable bevels made from simple materials, Formica and popsicle sticks. Nothing fancy but perfectly functional. I also have several great big ones that are super helpful for stair rails, house sheeting & siding, tub surrounds etc. Making a nice one would be a fun project and good use for small bits of nice wood.

Photo on 5-14-23 at 5.30 PM.jpg

this one is cute
    Miniature Sliding Bevel 100mm, stainless ✓ German Qualtiy ✓

A simple plan that could scaled down
    Engineer sliding T bevel plan | Craftsmanspace

and the big ugly homemade ones
    IMG_1382.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-15-2023 at 9:27 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    Perhaps not stupid but definitely inconvenient. I have a couple of bench chisels, three long paring chisels, a skew set, a large and small bevel square, the bevel setting block they had a while back, and most recently a square mallet. All of the products have been top notch. Probably would have had a full set of bench chisels but there was a problem with him getting them when I would have ordered. This was back in the day when Dave Jeske would answer the emails. My problem with the system is that unless you happen to need a tool when they’re producing it you’re in for a long wait. The small bevel came quickly because I ordered it when they were in a run of them. The square mallet took months because I had to wait for it to be in a run. The three tools I’ve ordered since the changeover have all seemed to be well made if that makes a difference.
    I’ll give you inconvenient. There’s a plus side though - that delay has kept me from a couple quick buys when frustrated.

Good to hear quality maintained at Red Spruce

Thanks for your insight

I looked up the Crucible one. It says that it’s small with a 4” blade. Iirc, that’s the same size as the smaller BS one.

Lee Valley used to have one in the four inch range (I’d have to measure mine to be sure) but I didn’t see it in the online catalog. It was nice with a laminated wood body.
    What size are you looking for? I might have one to part with.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Crown Tools used to make one. I think they still do.