Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stupid Phil gets bitten....

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Switch Safety Cover

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Phelps
    You are dead on, Jim. If I had just cut myself, I'd have probably, embarrassingly, never told. But that switch is "evil". How could I have turned it on as I lifted the router is not clear. (My first millisecond thought was "ITS ON".) I want all to see this is a bad set up. NO toggle switches. Change 'em today.
    A safety back-up solution is to have 2 switches (in-line) -- a simple toggle with a safety cover (see pic) either under the table or on the rear somewhere and of course your normal on-off switch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 07-23-2003 at 11:29 AM.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Unhappy

Phil
    Hope that you heal real fast. Sorry to hear about your accident.
    All the suggestions above are really great - use them all and unplug the machine or throw the main switch on the machine if it is hard wired.
    Thinking of your "ouch"
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

That will teach you to not go to Parkland!

Seriously, I am glad to hear that you survived you accident with all parts still working There is nothing like a good old heavy duty toggle switch mounted where you have to reach to flip it on/off.

Heal quickly.
    Best Regards, Ken

Blog Entries

Mine !

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    A safety back-up solution is to have 2 switches (in-line) -- a simple toggle with a safety cover (see pic) either under the table or on the rear somewhere and of course your normal on-off switch.
    I have mine plugged into a switched outlet and I unplug the cord when ever I work on the router. It really confuses the electrons when you pull the plug! I use the switch to control the router when it is in the table.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 07-23-2003 at 12:51 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

You could just change the cover to one that has a flip up cover over the switch lever or side guards to the switch lever.

Dear Mr. Phelps......

Phil,

Sorry to hear about your mis-adventure there....but like you said....your lucky (and glad) to still have that finger.

Hope your doing well and all will be better soon.

I too did a *stupid* un-related shop boo-boo a coupla weeks ago and dropped a trailer hitch on my finger.

3 stitches....I wasn't even gonna go to the E-Room, but LOML insisted.

Oh well...

I guess if I was to drag my mallets down to Texas I might actually have a chance of beating you around the golf course eh?

ha ha ha

Anyways.....Good luck to you....time will heal it ....

ps....dont be a stranger over to WC....dont see ya posting there anymore.

Scott

Yeowch!

Sorry you got hurt, glad you seem to be OK. Cut finger, bruised ego - could have been much, much worse.

Thanks for humbling yourself and sharing. A good lesson and reminder for all of us!

As the Rosenthal's (Router Workshop) always say: "make sure the router is unplugged..." Goes for any electron burning tool.

I won't say that "Big D" stands for Big Dumb#*$

Heal quickly, Pal!!!
    Dave Anderson, SoCal - Work Safely!