Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Passing the torch

Steve that is great! My grandfather was a woodworker for awhile but I never really worked with him, I wish that I could have. My father is a great carpenter and all around handy man. However, when it comes to the details, I take over
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Great post, Steve. I got my introduction to woodworking from my Dad when I was about 6 or 7. I've enjoyed it ever since. My daughter is an artist in D.C. and has always enjoyed "craft," in various forms, including woodworking. I spent many hours in the workshop with her over the Christmas Holidays working on several projects, one of which was a commission for one of her clients. It was wonderful time together. Sharing a hobby with your kids is one of the great delights of life.

I too have had the pleasure of watching my son move up from hammering nails into scrap wood to a pretty darn good woodworker. If he gets his own shop in the future he will definately out do his old man.

Brent is 24 and has 3 rent houses and his own home and has done remodeling on all of them and built his furniture for his own house. Every new girlfriend that comes along gets another one of his blanket chests, each one being more advanced than the other ones. He has done coffee table and end tables, entertainment center, bedroom furniture (one whale of a big headboard) dining table ........... and has completely replaced all the molding in his house.

Makes the ole man proud to see him work like that and take pride in what he does.

Contratulations Steve for raising the next generation of Ashes and getting him started on his way. Farming and woodworking make a good pair.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.