Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Looking for horizontal slicing bandsaw, g0503?

Have you given much thought to putting a powerfeed on your existing saw? You haven't really indicated what your production requirements are- is a $15k or more horizontal saw a good investment? If your main goal is increased accuracy and somewhat faster feed rate a good powerfeed may well do what you want at a reasonable cost. One example: https://www.shopgearinc.com/products...2HP-p494913981

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Have you given much thought to putting a powerfeed on your existing saw? You haven't really indicated what your production requirements are- is a $15k or more horizontal saw a good investment? If your main goal is increased accuracy and somewhat faster feed rate a good powerfeed may well do what you want at a reasonable cost. One example: https://www.shopgearinc.com/products...2HP-p494913981
    Yes, I have a power feed on my saw now, and it just doesn't do the trick, when we get around 10" of width on the board. Really want to go horizontal....

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    You could look into this one.
    Alex, thank you so much !!
    I've reached out to the seller....fingers crossed!

There's a single head resaw on sawmillexchange.com 10hp single phase for $6250.

Quote Originally Posted by dirk martin View Post
    Yes, I have a power feed on my saw now, and it just doesn't do the trick, when we get around 10" of width on the board. Really want to go horizontal....
    No argument that a horizontal saw may be the best way to go, especially with all that HP, but I don't understand why things get wonky for you over 10". Seems as if a tall fence and a matching featherboard in front of your power feeder would keep the work firmly in place all the way up to max. height. I regularly saw veneer over 12" wide w/o issue on my manual feed saw without issue.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    No argument that a horizontal saw may be the best way to go, especially with all that HP, but I don't understand why things get wonky for you over 10". Seems as if a tall fence and a matching featherboard in front of your power feeder would keep the work firmly in place all the way up to max. height. I regularly saw veneer over 12" wide w/o issue on my manual feed saw without issue.

John
    I have to agree with John. A self-adjusting pressure roller above the powerfeed would take a bit of invention but might solve your problem with minimal investment if accuracy rather than high production is your main goal. John's clever setup is shown in post #5 here https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....hich-Is-Better. Perhaps you could stack an arm and roller on top of your existing powerfeed using its integral pivot and spring. It would be simple to make a few cuts with an improvised tall fence and fixed featherboard to see if that approach would give the accuracy you are looking for.

I have to agree with John. A self-adjusting pressure roller above the powerfeed would take a bit of invention but might solve your problem with minimal investment if accuracy rather than high production is your main goal. John's clever setup is shown in post #5 here https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....hich-Is-Better. Perhaps you could stack an arm and roller on top of your existing powerfeed using its integral pivot and spring. It would be simple to make a few cuts with an improvised tall fence and fixed featherboard to see if that approach would give the accuracy you are looking for.

i hear what you guys are saying, but indeed, production is more important that perfect accuracy. I've got sanders to handle my accuracy....I need a saw that is effortless to run, and that can product non-stop quantity, that even a child could run (you know what I mean...I'm not running a sweat shop....tho, my wife often says otherwise).

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    There's a single head resaw on sawmillexchange.com 10hp single phase for $6250.
    I can't seem to find that, Bradley. Got a link?

Nevermind...found it....looks narrow. I'll call them....
    Last edited by dirk martin; 06-30-2023 at 3:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    it would be interesting to call the power company and ask how much it costs to have 3 phase delivered. Would at least give you a number.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    it would be interesting to call the power company and ask how much it costs to have 3 phase delivered. Would at least give you a number.
    I did, and they told me that the nearest 3 phase power source to me, was about 2 miles away, and to run that to my shop would cost roughly $30K.

I'm still striking out on finding a single phase horizontal resaw, so if anyone sees one online, or locally, please let me know. You guys have given me a couple good leads up here lately, but neither seller will get back to me...which usually means sold.

I would not rule out 3 phase

I used to have a separate 200 amp 3 phase service for my shop which cost at least 100 per month even if i never turned any machines on. with my 20 hp wide belt, the demand charge was significant
    I built a new house and installed a 400 amp single phase service with 2 200 amp mains. one powers my house and one my shop. I use this rotary phase converter for my 20 hp timesavers and it works fine. it is a 30 hp RPC which seems to be fine, although AMERICAN ROTARY now seems to want you to use a 40 hp RPC.

ADX - Smart Phase Converter - American Rotary

lou

Yes, I'm going horizontal. Maybe I'll start another thread on all the reasons I prefer horizontal over vertical.

At $5-$6K for an RPC, plus $100 a month when not even in use?......I think that's money I can instead put into an HR120....if I can find one.... Thanks for the info, tho, Lou.

-dirk