Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need to buy a chuck

I need to buy a chuck

I know that the OneWay chucks are very high thought of by turners. I just looked and they do have an adaptor for my lathe. It's an old J-Line/Yates American and has a funny spindle. I just learned that just any old spindle adaptor don't work!

I just curious if another brand of chuck stands out? I have the PSI Barracuda with the tommy bars and I am not impressed with mine. I think I got a lemon because most folks like theirs. Mine is sticky and hard to adjust. I can live with it but I am not impressed. I am going to tear it apart and see if something has gotten inside of it.

So any other brands stand out? I think Grizzly has some listed. Name brand is not important. I just want one that works and will last. And will fit my odd ball lathe spindle too.

Jeff...I like my Grizzly chuck. It is well built, didn't cost much ($40 I think) and it holds stuff. I think there are similar models out there...but this one has performed very well for me. Higher end chucks may be better though....I don't know your budget.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Jeff I got the PSI utility chuck and am very happy with it. It has worked well for me. It comes with 2 jaws and a screw chuck for $80. I think the one at Grizzly only comes with one jaw. I am going to get one anyway for a set of Coles Jaws I am thinking of building.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Jeff, if there is a way you can swing a OneWay Talon, it will be a good long-term investment, both due to the quality and also because of the variety of jaws available for it. Since it uses an insert, it also means you can move it to another machine in the future very easily...something I did when I sold my OneWay 1018 (1" x 8TPI) and moved to my Stubby. (1.25"x8TPI) OneWay's jaw designs are also about the best in the business...they grip extraordinarily well and don't require a taper on a tenon or recess to hold securely. I have the stock #2 jaws, the larger #3 jaws and the spiggot jaws and haven't founds anything I couldn't accomodate within the size limitations of the jaws.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would also look into the Teknatools SuperNova 2 chuck. From what I understand, it is highly rated and also has a bunch of different inserts and jaws available. I bought mine from a woodchipshome.com. They had the best price and their service was phenomenal. No affiliation, just a happy customer.
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

Yup, 'nuther vote for the Super Nova 2. I also have the original Super and the #2 version is really a step up! Nice, smooth action.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Check out the super nova 2. It has an insert so you can switch machines. I like mine.

After I posted this I finally remember the Nova brand. I knew there was another out there. As for budget, this is one of the rare times I can spend pretty much whatever I want too. But that doesn't mean I am going too.

However I am leaning toward a something like the Oneway or Nova because I figure it is a one time purchase. I guess I will have to call but I noticed on the Teknatool site that they mention my spindle thread in their adaptors, but the Oneway shows the same threaded adaptors and then lists one specically for my lathe. After all the trouble I have had today with thread adaptor I am little concerned about a generic adaptor fitting.

Going to do some more looking but I can allready see it's hard to find a 1 1/8" threaded accessories.

I just ordered a Super Nova 2 as well. What I liked about it was that the jaws are completely interchangeable between all of their other chucks should another ever be desired. Something that the Oneway family of chucks does not accomodate all that well.
    Only the Blue Roads

10. I have the Nova with the tommy bars, the Supernova and the Supernova II and I like them all. As Andy said all the jaws are interchangeable and inserts are available to mount it on just about any lathe.

I had an opportunity a while back to turn using the Talon and it is a fine piece of equipment as well. I don't think you will go wrong buying one of the name brands.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

I'm VERY new to this wood spinny thing so take this for what it is...
    I just ordered a Oneway Talon after looking at all the options. All the named brand chucks are well made and will work well for I'm sure...but because I'm old and set in my ways...the Nova was ruled out because it tightens the wrong way. I know...I know...you can teach an old dog new tricks but it was just to uncomfortable for me. You may not be so stuburn...
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I have a SuperNova and it works well for me. I have to say that The Oneway is a bit more of a Cadillac if you will but you pay for it. If you go on EBAY and search for Supernova chucks you will find a vendor, KMS tools I think. I bought mine from him and got a super deal relative to anything I could have found elsewhere. I cross referenced prices from other sources and the total was well over $500. I paid about $300 and got every accessory they make I think. At that price point I had to go Supernova. I think the SN2 is a significant upgrade as well for about the same price. Just my $.02. Good luck
    John
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Chucks

Thank you to all that answered the question on what chuck to buy. I guess that I have 2 SN chucks, but am now looking for (I think) the jaws for mounting a bowl with the bowl side in. Have just started turning bowls, so not completly sure what I am looking for.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton
    After I posted this I finally remember the Nova brand. I knew there was another out there. As for budget, this is one of the rare times I can spend pretty much whatever I want too. But that doesn't mean I am going too.
    Oneway Stronghold then, That was my choice and its held up even under my abuse. And I'm one of those guys that can break an anvil with a rubber hammer

I got the Super Nova, the previous model to the Super Nova 2. I've turned a LOT of that chuck and it's still working today as it did the day I got it. I'd recommend it.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.