Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need to buy a chuck

1. Quote Originally Posted by Edward E Wilson Jr
    Thank you to all that answered the question on what chuck to buy. I guess that I have 2 SN chucks, but am now looking for (I think) the jaws for mounting a bowl with the bowl side in. Have just started turning bowls, so not completly sure what I am looking for.

Ed
    Ed, there are several ways to reverse turn bowls. One way is to use large aluminum discs with rubber buttons for jaws to grip the outside rim of the bowl. These jaws are called Cole jaws and are available in a variety of sizes. Several of the dedicated bowl turners have constructed vacuum chucks which allow you to grip a bowl using a vacuum. I will let one of them address that issue for you as I do not have one. I think you can find several threads on the Creek about vacuum chucks.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Thanks guys. I have looked over both and still not made up my mind. I like the SN2 and the fact that jaws are interchangable. I have a second lathe and I like the fact that if I picked up another Nova chuck off Ebay or of any Nova flavor that I could swap it between lathes and share jaws.

As I said, Oneway lists an adaptor a specific adaptor for my lathe. Who do you contact at Nova to see if they KNOW that they have an adaptor that would work? I don't want to buy off Ebay and then find out that it simply won't work or I have to have one made.

After all the trouble I have had trying to find a spindle adaptor that fits I am a bit gunshy. ... I don't think I mentioned that my lathe is a Broadhead-Garret J-Line. It was made by Yates American and has a 1 1/8" thread on the spindle. Plus the shoulder on the shaft is recessed in the head. So a large bodied adpator will hit the head before it hits the shoulder.