Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brass Cleaner

Like George, I also tumble brass for reloading. I use dish soap (for the carbon and dirt) and Lemi-Shine (citric acid) to make the brass shine... because who doesn't like sparkling shiny brass?

https://www.amazon.com/Lemi-Shine-Di.../dp/B002NUX8V8

As my roommate and I learned in my less-than-hygienic first bachelor months after college, tomato sauce (spaghetti sauce), left in a pot for a day or three with a little water, will leave your pots bright and shiny as well. Tomatoes themselves are mildly acidic and sauce is thinner and cheaper by volume than ketchup, so it may work well as a 'dip'. For a good wipe-off brass cleaner, I use "Colonel Brassy" - dad used to sell it in his antique shop- it works with just a little rubbing, isn't abrasive, and doesn't leave that white residue that Brasso leaves.

While you can't soak anything in Nevr-Dull, for basic brass cleaning it's great stuff--

I found this piece of probably 40+year old 1/32" thick brass that looks pretty bad-
    brass1.jpg

-grabbed some dish soap, cleanser and a toothbrush and started scrubbing-
    brass2.jpg

--it didn't help much--
    brass3.jpg

so I grabbed the Nevr-Dull, and just used the old piece on top,
    brass4.jpg

this took about 15 seconds of rubbing,
    brass5.jpg

got it to look like this after about another 30 seconds of brisk rubbing--
    brass6.jpg

--not too bad, and you can see by the piece of wadding on top of the can and the paper towel that it definitely gets the oxidation off.
    I could probably have this whole plate shining like a mirror in less than 5 minutes. I love the stuff, been using it forever...

Just can't soak stuff in it
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Nevr-dull is indeed great stuff. First heard of it at a table-saw tune-up seminar at a wood show for cleaning light rust off the table.