Thread: Couldn't say no!

Couldn't say no!

About a week ago a fellow architect and friend I have known for many years asked me to design and build a sofa for his home. He is a good friend and one of the remaining "old time" top architects here in the county. He came to see me a few days ago ...looked at my sofa and said..."anything you come up with is fine"..."whatever wood you want to use" ...he started rolling out hundreds for the material.....I said let me think about it....I really haven't built anything on comission for about 10 years... well i called him today and gave him the price for material based on about $8 to $10 BF ...he said no problem ....then I figured about 60 hours..."thats fine" so I guess I am working ...It should be fun ...he allowed me to work it in the schedule...so a couple months to start...
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

You go Mark!!!! Congrats on the commission work. I just KNOW you'll do him real proud as you have always done of the projects you have posted. Always very nice work!!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Coolness! Can't wait to see this one evolve! Your friend obviously knows your eye for design and skills for carrying it through to the very end. I'll bee lookin' for this thread big time, Mark!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

So I get the bones of the project. We all can do the bones. But you said SOFA. Isnt that one of those poofy stuffed items with nice fabric and or leather? How are you going to do the poofy stuff? You dont have one of those heavy duty, heavy iron sewing machines in the closet do you?
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

No poofy! He is getting someone to do the poofy ...I just bones...wood frame...wood slats....He likes mine I will try to find the thread...I will make it different..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 01-31-2006 at 12:51 AM.

Way to go, Mark. It's gotta be a nice accolade when a fellow architect (especially a well-regarded one) commissions a piece from you.

- Vaughn

Mark, I will be awaiting the step by step process of the couch. Hopefully you can show us what he chooses for the "poofy" also.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

congrats on the new job... your gonna love it..

lou

Congratulations on the new project Mark. We all look forward to seeing your progress on it.
    Reporting live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

10. Mark, what is the wood you used in your couch frame? Bubinga? or something else? I like the nice clean lines.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Sweet! Mark you will have fun with this one I am sure!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Being approached unsolicited for commission work is quite a compliment to begin with, but from a peer of stature in the design community I think it speaks volumes on your work. Congrats! (Of course I'm conjecturing here as no one has ever approached me solicited or not about commission work, esp from the design community except for "commissions" from my wife, of course )

Now, about that couch you posted pics of... Tell us the truth. Y'all don't use that for watchin your Sunday NASCAR, now do ya? I mean I look at your couch and then I look at mine and on yours I don't see the carefully developed butt divot that's on mine. Of course the divot comes from religiously watching your NASCAR, pro football, college football and hoops and those Saturday morning fishin shows. And some Norm, of course. Well lately it's been Amy Devers... well a lot of Amy Devers if ya know what I mean. And the fabric, doesn't that telegraph the Old Milwaukee spills?

But I digress -- looking forward to the play-by-play on this one. Thanks in advance!
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stafford
    Mark, what is the wood you used in your couch frame? Bubinga? or something else? I like the nice clean lines.
    Michael,
    Interesting observation...you can call it poor mans wenge....what it actually is is Paduak....oiled with Daly's Ben Matte which is a clear tung oil and set for a couple of days in the sun....I took it in at night. The carrot orange quickly sun tanned and the grain is just wonderful...subtle and natural....I have a real wenge table I made next to it and to be honest the paduak looks better!

Mark, congrats on the commission. Your sofa looks great and I can't wait to see what you do for your friend. I'm sure it's going to look stunning!

Congrats on the work. Does this mean we will have a new step by step instruction thread. I for one hope so as I get more information and inspiration from your commentaries than I do from the magazines. Besides its live and cheaper (just make a contribution).