Thread: Fixed My Milwaukee 12v Battery

Fixed My Milwaukee 12v Battery

So I purchased this driver kit a couple of years ago, but never used the batteries in it. I finally got them out and found one of them showed broken on the charger. I sent it in to Milwaukee and they wouldn't fix it under warranty. I decided to try jumping it with another battery to increase the voltage so the charger would proceed. It worked! It took less than 5 minutes of work. Why couldn't Milwaukee do that and charge a nominal fee? Oh well...

Because when a lithium battery is left on the shelf it can go into a severe undervoltage condition which the cells are not designed to handle. Leaving cells in a low-voltage state for an extended period can cause dendrite growth and a higher internal resistance. This can result in over-heating during charge. Boosting the battery will get it functional but it's a liability issue for Milwaukee.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Funk View Post
    Because when a lithium battery is left on the shelf it can go into a severe undervoltage condition which the cells are not designed to handle. Leaving cells in a low-voltage state for an extended period can cause dendrite growth and a higher internal resistance. This can result in over-heating during charge. Boosting the battery will get it functional but it's a liability issue for Milwaukee.
    Copy that. Thanks for the explanation.

Do you think the same cure would work on a Lithium battery in my grand daughters handicap scooter? It has set for over a year and will not take a charge.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I am glad this has worked for some people. However, it is not something that I will do as I am not certain of the safety. Lithium battery fires are really dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I am glad this has worked for some people. However, it is not something that I will do as I am not certain of the safety. Lithium battery fires are really dangerous.
    Yes. I did monitor the batteries with a volt meter. Once the bad set reached 3.6 volts, I stopped the jump. I made sure there was no over heating.

Couldn't figure out how to send a question here BUT I wanted to ask if you ever bought one of those SN Tool Table Saws?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Daniels View Post
    Couldn't figure out how to send a question here BUT I wanted to ask if you ever bought one of those SN Tool Table Saws?
    No, def not.

First time I have heard of these SN Tool tablesaws. Looked them up. They look pretty interesing, but perhaps suited to smaller craft work.
    Anyone ever use one?

I’d like to know your process for “jumping” one battery with another.

Thanks!
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Mooney View Post
    I’d like to know your process for “jumping” one battery with another.

Thanks!
    Look on YT and you'll see examples. If the problem pack has a lower than normal voltage, you get a good battery and connect + to + and - to - until the voltage rises to a certain value, then it can be charged. Battery chargers only charge batteries over that certain value, otherwise it will indicate that it is damaged.

Not that I condone it but if you have one of the multi-type battery chargers, you can "jump start" low lipos by charging them on the lead acid setting for a couple minutes at low current. Once you have to do that I doubt the battery will work much longer, but it might get you over a hump.