Thread: An Epiphany Today

An Epiphany Today

Today I was turning a small candle holder base from a round blank of cherry. I was using Bill G. techniques with an inexpensive bowl gouge I ground Ellsworth style. 45 deg - 45 deg - 45 deg- Well, I got it. I GOT IT!!! Bevel, angle, the sound and sight of long, smooth ribbons of wood!!!

The only thing I can think of that is comparable was the first time I rode a bike without training wheels. I couldn't go fast, couldn't make tight turns, but I stayed upright all by myself for a whole block!!! Do you all remember that feeling??

I barely had to sand the piece. It was wonderful. This turning stuff is like golf. You play like crap for 14 holes, then you make a shot that is so smooth, stoney, 2 feet from the hole and sink the putt. And you're back in a day or two. With turning, you ruin/create firewood, cut your hands in ways you've never imagined, but you come back ASAP.. I'm DONE! And at least with the dark side, you might just have something to show for it unlike a bad "fish" story from the links.

Happiness!!!

Pat
    Keep On Twirlin' & Turnin' !

Pat,
    Perserverence! You're hooked! Ain't it grand when it works? Pics?
    Congratulations.
    Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA

3. Wow, that is great, really wonderful, and yes, I remember the day I learned to ride a bicycle, vividly. There were 4 kids in my family, and my Dad bought an old CCM beater bike for us kids to learn on, I think that thing weighed more than me!

I recently had the same feeling, through my kids, who I taught to ride, much crying, and some skinned knees, but once they got on the bike, I had trouble getting them off.

Man I can't wait until my lathe gets here!!!

I KNOW this feeling! Everything is clicking, all pistons firing....All is right with the world. Nice going Pat!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Pat,

Isn't life grand when things go REALLY right once and awhile?

Sounds like you grabbed the brass ring on the merry-go-round.

Thumbs up

Happiness indeed! Ain't it great!?

I had just the same "apostrophe" myself a few weeks ago after watching Bill's movie. Was an eye opener for me, so I can absitively relate to your experience. Aint life grand!
    Only the Blue Roads

8. I'm still waitin' on mine...

Life is grand isn't it Pat. It makes it all worth it when it just comes together somehow.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Yes Pat. I remember both firsts...my first solo bike ride, and my first really good finished piece on the lathe! There are a few other firsts I can remember too...like my first child coming into the world and my first motorcycle. Nothing is like a first, but with the lathe, you can get a lot more that feel almost as good as the first...then you can call them: Betters.

Pat...yes, that is a wonderful feeling when the tool just does its thing while you look on and give it gentle nudges in the right direction. And the more you do it, the more you'll enjoy it!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Epiphany

Pat, I'm from East Texas. You've gotta learn to use more one-syllable words. Did you mean to say that you were In-The-Zone?

Congrats.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Know the feeling Pat . Can't relate to the Golf...But everything
    else I can... .

More than the "zone" but yes, that's part of it.

Another description: The Eyes and Ears (watching Bill's video 20 times) finally connected to my brain AND the while turning, AH HA!!! I finally understand what Bill is talking about. Pics to follow soon.

Oh, I thought I better check the definition of "epiphany." Folks misuse words too much these days and I don't want to be one of them.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>e·piph·a·ny [ i píffənee ] (plural e·piph·a·nies)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=ResultBody>
    noun
    </TD></TR><TR height=20><TD height=20></TD></TR><TR><TD class=ResultBodyBlack>Definitions:</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>1. sudden realization: a sudden intuitive leap of understanding, especially through an ordinary but striking occurrence.
    </IMG>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Keep On Twirlin' & Turnin' !

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Jeddy
    <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>e·piph·a·ny [ i píffənee ] (plural e·piph·a·nies)</td></tr><tr><td class="ResultBody">
    noun
    </td></tr><tr height="20"><td height="20">
    </td></tr><tr><td class="ResultBodyBlack">Definitions:</td></tr><tr><td>
    </td></tr><tr><td>1. sudden realization: a sudden intuitive leap of understanding, especially through an ordinary but striking occurrence.

</td></tr></tbody></table>
    That's it! And there's another Creeker who's gonna have one any minute, hour, day now.
    Only the Blue Roads