Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Did your 2023 homeowners insurance cost go way up? What are you paying?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    I Started a new 2024 thread since it was 9 months after this thread and pricing references would be different. Brian
    Jim Becker closed your new thread because he said it duplicated this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Jim Becker closed your new thread because he said it duplicated this thread.
    I know. I felt since it was 9 months later and we were talking about 2024 pricing I thought it would keep it cleaner, since increase is a different year. Jim moderates the boards, up to him. Brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    Rates continue to go up. I had hail damage in 2022 that allowed me to have roof replaced by insurance. Roof and the COPPER gutters. (no I didn't spec these as I bought house from PO) $37K for a 2000SF house.
    About 3x what I had expected, but half was the copper. Insurance went up, 15% or so. I thought probably due to claim, but probably not after reading here.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Oddly, mine actually went down a little. It turns out the company now isn’t fully protecting roofs that are more than 8 years old. The older it is the less coverage for replacement eventually dropping to very little after 25 years. I suspect this will soon be common with all companies if it’s not already. Don’t have the numbers in front of me but my roof was replaced 16 years ago and is the last claim I have made. Between the decrease in roof coverage and my fairly high deductible it’s likely to pay very little. I am going to be looking around.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

My insurance carrier now has a mandatory wind and hail deductible of $2,500. This is for roof, siding, gutters, fascia, windows, doors, and anything else. The trend is for less and less coverage of roofs. It doesn't help that some refuse to replace their roof with their own money and hope/pray that the roof is replaced for "free" by insurance before the leaks get too bad. My roof is 20 years old so my personal wind and hail deductible went up to $5,000. I have cash value for my roof so I would get exactly ZERO from insurance if my roof were to be damaged by a hail storm. I have replaced half of my house's roof and expect to have the other half done by the end of summer.

I use an insurance broker and they have been warning clients since last fall to expect a 25% to 50% increase in homeowner's insurance rates. They sent out multiple emails as recently as last month.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    Oddly, mine actually went down a little. It turns out the company now isn’t fully protecting roofs that are more than 8 years old. The older it is the less coverage for replacement eventually dropping to very little after 25 years. I suspect this will soon be common with all companies if it’s not already. Don’t have the numbers in front of me but my roof was replaced 16 years ago and is the last claim I have made. Between the decrease in roof coverage and my fairly high deductible it’s likely to pay very little. I am going to be looking around.
    Our house has been covered by the same (little, regional) insurer for 40 years. They have always reduced coverage on the roof, year by year, according to a set depreciation schedule based on the roofing type. 30 year shingles depreciate to essentially no coverage after, I think, 20 years.

In 40 years I've never filed a claim. Had a tornado come through the place, picked up a sheep shed and deposited in the neighbor's field, and took down some 200+ year old red oak trees around the place, and literally twisted the top off a 2' diameter walnut 25' from the house, but remarkably only removed about five shingles from the house . Fingers crossed, we'll manage to close out our sojourn here without having a major claim - I'm gettin' too old to deal with crap like that.

Not only did our insurance go way up, our home values increased 34% - giving us a double whammy.

Our house hurts - the rentals, we'll just raise the rent to cover it.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Not only did our insurance go way up, our home values increased 34% - giving us a double whammy.

Our house hurts - the rentals, we'll just raise the rent to cover it.
    Thus perpetuating the cycle.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

this below is on firefox just now.

My accountants place has flooded twice both times over 40k and taken care of. I had half inch in one place and then just left basement insurance off from then on and didnt redo the basement and wont. Not having that cut my policy around 25 percent

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...t-newtab-en-us

My various "house" policies (homeowner's, earthquake, and umbrella liability) were fairly stable, small changes over the years. E.g. homeowner's went from $680 in 2007 to $925 in 2020, earthquake went from $240 in 2012 to $220 in 2018 (with a dip down to $170 or so in the middle, no clue why).

Then stuff started to happen. Earthquake went from $220 to $640 in 2019, due to redrawn fault maps IIRC. Homeowner's went from $925 to $1320 in 2021 for no obvious reason, but possibly due to the wildfires elsewhere in the state*. They've resumed their steady creep upward to $1460/$885 in 2023, but no dramatic jumps lately.

*The regs for insurance rates in California are...odd. Sometimes stuff elsewhere in the state has an effect, sometimes not. I'm with State Farm, which is still continuing existing policies, just not writing new ones. We'll see how it goes.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Thus perpetuating the cycle.
    Meaning?
    We own income property - just like any other business.
    If one of our fixed costs of doing business goes up in price, we have to pass that along.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Meaning?
    We own income property - just like any other business.
    If one of our fixed costs of doing business goes up in price, we have to pass that along.
    Higher rents -> higher real-estate prices -> higher insurance -> higher rents -> lather, rinse, repeat.
    It's a classic feedback cycle.

That's the same as any other commodity.

Once one part increases in cost, the others follow.

This is pretty scary:

https://fortune.com/2024/03/22/state...ones-in-state/

Starting this summer, State Farm will drop 72,000 homeowner policies in California.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    This is pretty scary:

https://fortune.com/2024/03/22/state...ones-in-state/

Starting this summer, State Farm will drop 72,000 homeowner policies in California.
    The thing with property and casualty insurance (other than flood insurance) is that the carriers are not willing, and in many cases not legally allowed, to cross subsidize risk pools. So when faced with a heightened risk situation (wild fires in the urban-wildland interface in California, storm damage (other than flooding) in Florida) that is beyond the underwriters control and looks to be sustained long term, they have only two choices: raise rates through the roof, or get out. When regulators limit their ability to price risk where the underwriting says it needs to be, getting out is the only realistic option. Regulators can force the underwriters through some hoops on their way out the door, or maybe deny them access to any P & C underwriting in their state, but in the end, they can't force a company to be in a market they consistently lose tons of money in.