Thread: Grizzly Jointer/Planer carbide insert replacement

Grizzly Jointer/Planer carbide insert replacement

My G0634XP has carbide inserts that use a 15x15x2.5 square carbide insert but the fasteners are a strange T-Head Torx T25 10-32 x 1/2. The inserts have a flat countersunk surface. Grizzly charges $100 for a package of 10 inserts. I need 32 inserts which means 4 sets for at total of $400. Has anyone used a more conventional insert and replaced the T-head fasteners with flat head countersunk screws?

Use the wrong kind of fastener on carbide inserts and they snap in half. $10 an insert is crazy! The pandemic must have made carbide impossible to get.

I must be missing something. Just looked up that machine and it has 32 cutters total in the cutterhead, and each has 4 faces so they can be rotated if one side should get dull. Have all 4 sides been worn out or have you run something through that took out all the cutters? I happen to have a spiral cutterhead for my shaper, I admit I don't use it as much as I do the jointer, but even after a couple of years the cutters are still sharp enough if I'm not careful in how I remove it from the case I can slice my finger up on the cutters.

When I needed carbide inserts for my Grizzly planer I bought them from Global tooling in Oregon. You might see what their prices are like for the inserts that you need.

I’m on my third side of 4. I’ve gotten 2+ years on each side before I need to rotate. I use the machine a lot. I haven’t had any mishaps with it but it takes a beating when I run some hard stuff through it. I like to have sharp cutters and blades on hand.

Thanks. Their prices are in between mywoodcutters and Grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Moll View Post
    My G0634XP has carbide inserts that use a 15x15x2.5 square carbide insert but the fasteners are a strange T-Head Torx T25 10-32 x 1/2. The inserts have a flat countersunk surface. Grizzly charges $100 for a package of 10 inserts. I need 32 inserts which means 4 sets for at total of $400. Has anyone used a more conventional insert and replaced the T-head fasteners with flat head countersunk screws?
    My 25" Oliver jointer / planer uses torx head screws on the inserts. There is no way that I would want to replace them with flat head screws! For starters, the torx head will allow much greater torque w/o stripping out the screw head.

On my Oliver, it's an all day job to remove inserts, clean the heads, and reinstall on a new face. I've tried different brands of inserts in the past and the inexpensive ones tend to both break and dull easier than the higher quality ones.

I bought replacements for my G1033X planer from one of the on-line companies that sell replacements. I might still have the receipt if you want to know the name of the company. I remember it being a UK company with (I believe) US locations and free shipping. It turns out the Grizzly cutters are the same cutter as the ones on my Powermatic jointer. Probably because they came from the same factory. Even now it's less than $200 for 100 carbide cutters. I have no idea why Grizzly is so expensive.

I buy and resell a lot of inserts from Tigra in Germany and inquired about those a year ago, they don't make them. The only reason they are expensive is because nobody makes them so you get gouged, be aware when buying certain machines and Lux Cut heads. I would be willing to send the OP a regular bevel edge insert and screw if they wanted to see how they worked, I would like to know. I'm trying to visualize why it wouldn't work but don't have one of those heads that use the flat screws. First saw those inserts with Laguna but it's all the same Chinese supplier making them. Grizzly did the same with a 14.2mm insert, couldn't get them and were crazy expensive. I can sell a standard 14mm insert for less than $2 so no reason why .2mm would quadruple the price.

Oella saw and tool. Remarkable savings over the price direct from Griz. Just make sure you're ordering the right size - even email an image to them if you need something really odd. Most of these online sellers are happy to make sure they send you the right items the first time, so just give them a call. I'm finding more and more, call these people. More accurate help and sometimes a better deal can be negotiated, especially if you are buying a few dozen in one shot.

jeff