Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aligning a CBN wheel to a Tormek BGM-11

My CBN wheel has run dead true with no vibration since 2012. It still cuts but puts more heat in the tool than it used to. I'm thinking any sharp points have gotten worn down to the point that there is more rubbing friction. I bought the Wen to hold me over until hopefully Tormek comes out with a model with reverse. It does surprisingly well.

I ordered a new CBN wheel, but then it was backordered and I canceled the order and put 135 bucks into the Wen. The Wen surprised me at how nicely it works, especially for what it cost. I have a Tormek truing rig ordered for it, and the Tormek angle setter. The angle gauge that comes with the Wen is junk. The tool holding jig is no TE-77, but is surprisingly useful.

I'm using the worn CBN wheel to take metal out of the bevel without getting close to the edge, and finishing the grinding on the Wen. That system is working nicely.

Tom, does Tormek have a model in development with reverse? Just curious. Also, what do you use the reverse feature for? Again, just curious as I've eventually got to pick up a grinder or tormek for use.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    My CBN wheel has run dead true with no vibration since 2012. It still cuts but puts more heat in the tool than it used to. I'm thinking any sharp points have gotten worn down to the point that there is more rubbing friction. I bought the Wen to hold me over until hopefully Tormek comes out with a model with reverse. It does surprisingly well.

I ordered a new CBN wheel, but then it was backordered and I canceled the order and put 135 bucks into the Wen. The Wen surprised me at how nicely it works, especially for what it cost. I have a Tormek truing rig ordered for it, and the Tormek angle setter. The angle gauge that comes with the Wen is junk. The tool holding jig is no TE-77, but is surprisingly useful.

I'm using the worn CBN wheel to take metal out of the bevel without getting close to the edge, and finishing the grinding on the Wen. That system is working nicely.

I don't have any idea. I just don't want a one direction wet grinder. I've been hoping they'd come out with a reversible model since I sold the one I had soon after I bought the CBN wheel.

I know it can be turned around and the bar changed, but I just want a switch like on the Wen. I don't expect people to pay me for time switching stuff around. The Wen works plenty good enough for this use. I'm just not sure how long it will last.

I thought I explained it earlier. For hogging metal off to fix dings I want the water rolling up on top of the tool. I do a lot of it just by hand and eye without the jigs. For lathe tools, and carving tools, I want to see exactly where on the cutting edge I'm working, so when the wheel rotates away from the tool, it parts the water and you can see exactly where you're working on the edge. Sometimes I use both directions on the same tool.

edited to add: Much like on a sharpening stone, I can feel what it's doing better with the cutting edge going towards the stone or wheel. Going the other way, I have to stop more often and keep looking at it. Using a jig, it's just more time taking the jig off the bar and putting it back on to look at it. For curved cutting edges, I need to see where I'm working, so like it parting the water so I can see the edge.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-12-2023 at 9:37 AM.

update: the setup now stands!

I would recommend building the BGM-100 from the base and up, step by step (first the bracket with the wooden block, then the top bracket to the bottom bracket...) if you actually install one you will see. the top "plate of the BGM that connects to the square brackets has a large amount of slop built in. if you line it up reasonably well, and lock everything tight, that plate can handle all the rotational adjustment needed. as usual, I overthought this (insert favorite joke about the difference between a mathmagician and an engineer)

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-13 at 17.21.37.jpg

This is the finished setup: a 1 HP slow speed grinder with 2 BGM adapters, a single CBN 180 grit wheel by Vicmarc (widest usable side of any wheel I could find) and a Tormek tool rest SVD-110 and the SE-77 square jig.

Thank you all for your input, and special thanks to Derek Cohen for the "inspiration" (by which I mean blatant copying and a few emails for clarification which he was gracious enough to respond to)

as sobering a thought as this is: Ive been building my bench for more than 2 years. in that time I had to survive medschool, start an internship with 80 hour weeks (26 hour shifts on the weekends) and get a license. I also got married and have a first born boy. I know this isn't "woodworking" but this is one of the only projects I had planned and finished so far.
    Feels good

Looks great, and congratulations on all the accomplishments!!

I aligned BGM-100's to my CBN wheels using a 12" combination square. Just to be clear - I put the body of the square on the near side of the Tormek bar while touching the scale to both the near & far sides of the wheel.

That looks better than my set up, Assaf!

I have only needed one re-adjustment in all the years it has been used. Tighten the screws and you should be fine.

Fine setting of the blade: use a parallel-sided blade or section of steel, align one side with the fence inside the blade holder, and flat against the flat side of the wheel (mine have flat sides). Loosen the screws to fudge into position, tighten, and away you go!

Enjoy sharp tools: sharpening is so much easier and quicker when you have a clean, straight edge to the primary bevel. Gentle pressure and finger against the back to monitor heat, and you can grind to a fine wire edge.

Regards from Perth

Derek