Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaw selection help

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Very foolish to buy a new 10" import when you can buy a used domestic Delta 14" for less.
    It's even more foolish to sit around wishing you were doing woodworking instead of endlessly searching for something that doesn't exist.

I got sick of doing that pretty quick.

That & the fact that so many times when something used, that isn't selling for three to four times what it's worth, does come up - it always has to be repaired.

Again, I want to do woodworking, not rebuilding machines.

After reading up on the Rikon 10" saws, I ended up getting a 10" Wen 3962T.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 06-11-2023 at 4:26 PM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    ...so many times when something used, that isn't selling for three to four times what it's worth, does come up - it always has to be repaired...
    Oh come on! Exaggerate much?

A wood-cutting bandsaw is such a simple machine: a single motor, with no gearbox, belt-driving a wheel. It has adjustments for tensioning the belt, tracking the wheel, tilting the table, and for the guides. Because of their simplicity it is easy to ascertain the condition of a used machine. Typically quality used machines (with little use) cost ~half as much as new.

Over my nearly 80 years I have owned a number of bandsaws, both wood and metal cutting. All but 2 were bought used. None of the used ones required repair. One of the 2 new ones were missing parts (that's why I got a deal). Nearly all the machines in my shop were purchased used.

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

No response from the OP. Is he the guy who lives in Guinea Bissau? His choices may be very limited. I believe his shop runs on solar power only. Enough power to teach welding to local students but not at night. Shipping is a huge issue. He fills a container in The USA or Europe and has it shipped to him once a year or so.
    Bill D.
    USA

Oh come on! Exaggerate much?
    You mean that 14" Walker Turner bandsaw that's on Facebook Market Place for $1500 isn't out of line?

No joke - I did look for a 14" bandsaw for years before I found a half decent 14" Delta for $250 about 10 years ago.

There are tons of the three wheel Craftsman saws - priced anywhere from $60 to $200. Tons of Harbor Freight 14" saws - priced from $120 to $600.

Right now there is a very clean looking Rockwell about an hour away - 14" for $1150.

About the only thing that might be worth consideration is a Rockwell 14" 28-200 - located about an hour and a half away for $450 asking. (29 days on CL is a red flag of something not right)

There is that 18" Jet on CL the guy is asking $1200 for. It's been sitting there for 9 days now - which tells me - it isn't such a great deal. Plus - the pictures of the saw don't look right. There isn't a spec of dust, not even a hint of that saw ever being used.

Anyhow - I'm not exaggerating when I say what I posted above. Not in the least. The used market in my area is a huge void. You have to make a very dedicated effort to find any sort of deal on tools here. Wood is much the same.
    When decent tools do pop up for sale, more often than not, the seller is selling off everything and won't break down the individual items. A decent 14" bandsaw - will come with a 4" benchtop jointer, a 10" non-slider miter saw, a Sears craftsman tablesaw,,etc,,,for a $3500 bundle.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    i built my shop out in 2004. Mostly new tools: Table saw, miter saw, dust collector, jointer, planer and drill press.

Next I added a couple of used tools: shaper and wide belt sander. If i had to do it again I think i'd go all used tools except probably the dust collector (which is hard to find just what you want used). i bought the used tools here on the creek. Hobbyist use, near new condition. That's my preferred way to purchase the larger tools. There's pros and cons to it compared to buying new, you have to be willing to drive to the tool and be able to load and unload it. You lose the new tool warranty. But you save about half as compared to new tool.

I don't think buying tools on craigslist or facebook marketplace is as useful as it used to be, Seems tool re-sellers are dominating those markets.

To each their own way I guess.

PHM

And I'd do the 14" bandsaw.
    Last edited by Paul McGaha; 06-12-2023 at 10:27 AM.

...The used market in my area is a huge void...
    We hear this all the time; pretty much from lazy shoppers who would rather pay retail for a cheap import.

It does take some effort to buy used. When a deal comes up you can't wait for someone else to snap it up. You must be ready to act at once.

Yeah - like I said - I'd rather spend my time working on my hobby and not trying to be the most proficient shopper in the area since - that isn't what I consider a hobby.
    I just simply don't have the time either. When I need something, I need it right now.

Now that I am retired and found out how cheap a trailer rental is used stuff looks even better. I can run pick it up any day of the week.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    We hear this all the time; pretty much from lazy shoppers who would rather pay retail for a cheap import.

It does take some effort to buy used. When a deal comes up you can't wait for someone else to snap it up. You must be ready to act at once.
    Laziness has nothing to do with it. I'm in southern Colorado. I looked at used woodworking tools for years. If they are in useable condition, they tend to be priced at or just below full retail. Apparently I'm paying for the convenience of not having to order? As mentioned, it varies by area. If I were in rural West Virginia where there just aren't many people with much money, used tools are probably reasonably prices. There is a lot of money in the Denver and Colorado Springs area and woodworking machine prices reflect this. Not only are woodworking machines priced very high, they sell at those very high prices. No thank you.

...When I need something, I need it right now.
    Not trying to single you out Rich. I understand immediate gratification. But it reminds me of another saying: "When you want it bad, you get it bad."

It only takes a few minutes per day to check the craigslist ads. One of the big advantages in buying quality machinery, used, is that you can usually get all your money back when you decide to sell or upgrade. Buying new you likely lose at least 30-40% right off the top.

Was having lunch with an old Jewish guy one day. He said: "You know, the Jewish people have a lot of names for a man's equipment. But a schmuck is someone who pays retail."

Most of my tools were bought because I had an immediate need for them. I got into woodworking more as a means to an end. My wife and I renovated houses and a huge part of that process involved making things from wood.
    If I needed a tool to complete something I as working on at the renovation, I needed it ASAP. I didn't have the luxury of waiting on a used tool to hit the market.

I have noting against buying used equipment - - but - - it isn't the answer for everyone.

Laguna 14/12. I had a 17" Grizzly and it was fine, but I replaced it with the smaller Laguna and couldn't be happier. There were some relatively minor issues with the Grizzly, but the Laguna has been perfect out of the box.

If you are not space constrained, I'd get a 14". I've owned a Grizzly G0555 and it was a decent saw. The 14's can often be outfitted with a riser block if you should decide you want taller cutting capacity occasionally.

If you routinely resaw tall stock or want to use the bandsaw as a substitute for a tablesaw, then you will need thicker blades and more power, which operate better on bigger bandaws (i.e., 17" or larger).

I have a Grizzly import 19". While I believe some of the other brands ("brandsaws"?) are superior at the edges (specifically maybe slightly more robust guide assemblies) mine has plenty of mass and power and vibration stability for anything I've done with it.

If I had to choose between a second hand 14" - even venerably domestic - and a 19" import with good specs, I'd pick the import hands down.

Also, your cut quality depends as much on your choice of bandsaw blade as your choice of saw.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 06-13-2023 at 9:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Also, your cut quality depends as much on your choice of bandsaw blade as your choice of saw.
    You can say that again. Want to resaw veneers? BUY A NEW, SHARP, 1/2" 3TPI BLADE. They're $30, and if it ain't new, your old bandsaw blade is (too) dull (to resaw).

Won’t get into the new vs used discussion. But I think in the long run you will be happier with a 14” over a 10” do not know about price difference

I currently h3 band saws
    14” delta
    20” Powermatic
    18” LAGUNA

love them all