Thread: Hide glue

Hide glue

Some 30 years ago my wife and I made a pine Shaker lamp table. We glued end strips on it to hide the end grain. We were unaware, at the time, that this was not a good choice to attach the strips. One strip has fallen off. I do not recall what type of glue we used.
    I wonder if the two mating surfaces were lightly sanded and thin coat of hide glue applied and let dry then another coat of hide glue applied would work? I would not glue the final two inches on the ends.
    Thank you.

I suspect you'll get better and more knowledgeable responses, but here's my thoughts. If the table has one of its long sides (i.e. side running parallel to the grain) along the wall, then I would glue (with any good wood glue) the strip for about 1/3 of the width from the non-wall side inward, then spot glue it several times along the length with equal spaces of non glued sections to within a few inches of the other end. I'm wondering if rubber glue would provide some flexibility at those glue spots.

If the end grain side faces away from the wall, then I see the choices of 1) making a new top (not serious) or 2) trying the rubber glue in spots for the whole length of the edge, maybe glue the center 3 inches with that good wood glue to anchor it at the center, then the rubber glue toward the ends to try to equalize any gap at the ends.

How thick are the strips? Would it be possible to leave them off entirely and let the end grain show? If they are thick enough, you could nail them on with some small brads, this would allow for some seasonal movement to the width of the top boards. Or, create new, thicker (wider) strips, and attach them bread-board style.

Nails would be ideal. If not nails, a few spots of glue in the center, or on a "good edge" and extending for a few inches. Pegs, with some in "slots" are also an option (in conjunction with the appropriate joinery)

Neither nails nor glue hold well into end grain though. Better cut some joinery or leave the ends off altogether.

Don't underestimate the internal strength of wood. Anything you glue cross-grain over such a large area is going to fail sooner or later. Likely sooner, as happened to me. Gluing end-grain to crossgrain, well... good luck.
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 06-12-2023 at 8:01 PM.

Look up hide glue sizing.