Thread: Kudos to Grizzly Customer Service

Kudos to Grizzly Customer Service

A few weeks ago I picked up a Delta DJ-20 8" jointer at an auction with full intention of adding a helical head. I shopped around and while a vendor or two had a lower price for the Byrd Shelix head they weren't in stock. Projected 6 week delivery. Grizzly had it in stock and now has free shipping. I ordered and it was here in one day. I ordered bearings as well of Amazon and waited a couple days for them. (They weren't in stock locally). When I went to install the larger drive end bearing it wouldn't even begin to start on the bearing journal. I removed the old bearing from the straight knife cutterhead and it would have tapped on it with no issues. I grabbed a micrometer and found the issue. The bearing journal was supposed to be 25 mm (.098425) and it was 25.5 mm (1.004). I called Grizzly technical support and explained the issue to the gentleman and he understood my dilemma completely. They issued a return label and RA number and I sent it back. I waited for it to reach them in Springfield and called that afternoon. I reached a customer service person and he informed me they couldn't guarantee it would fit a non Grizzly brand. This after I had explained the issue. He transferred me to tech support again. (Over his pay grade obviously) The new tech guy was just as competent and after leaving me for a few minutes returned to tell me he had sent an email to them in Springfield and copied a supervisor in as well explaining the steps that they needed to take. That they needed to verify what I was saying, check another one from inventory and if it was correct ship it to me. Apparently the first slipped through quality control at Byrd. The head had the blackened finish everywhere so it appeared to be "finished". The replacement cutterhead showed signs a bearing had been applied. Bearing tapped right on as expected. This wasn't their product but they handled it like champs for the most part. The returned head wasn't going to fit any brand of jointer. While there are so many threads about no or poor customer service this had a happy ending. It's not a Grizzly branded item but they still made it right.

Good to hear they took care of you. I've had much better customer service from Grizzly than a few other well known tool retailers. This has been over the last 3-4 years so maybe Grizz has stepped up there CS ?

I’ve always had a great experience with Grizzly CS. And when buying used Grizzly machines, replacement parts always seem to be available at a reasonable price.

I've also have had very good support from Grizzly, been buying router & shaper cutters etc. from the company since they were about a year old and I've since bought several Grizzly and Shopfox machines. I've even gotten parts for 20+ yr old shaper where I couldn't get a switch for a 10 year old Jet lathe through Jet (finally found it 3d party). Additionally, I had a machine get damaged in shipment and they sent another before the original was even shipped back (did note the damage to the shipper on delivery). I recently had some molding knives disappear in shipment, contacted them after a week late and they sent another set right away. Ironically the original order showed up about 2-3 weeks later, let them know and they said to just keep or dispose of them rather than send them back.
    So far, they've taken care of me in almost 40 years of being a customer.
    Last edited by Paul Haus; 06-13-2023 at 11:32 AM.

Only a couple of Grizzly issues for me, but both handled perfectly.

Also a big fan of Grizzly CS over the years. No bad experiences. I recently looked to purchase a 1/2 ton hoist and saw seemingly identical machines on Grizzly and Amazon, the latter under several brand names (all overseas). Specs were identical on all 4 or 5 except that the Grizzly version was about $30 more expensive. Several of the 1 star reviews on the Amazon brands mentioned poor CS or unable to reach CS at all. I went with the Grizzly model knowing that if I ever had a problem, Grizzly would make it right. Well worth the extra $.