Thread: Korky fill valve NOISY !

Korky fill valve NOISY !

Last week I put a new Korky 528 fill valve on a toilet. Now when the tank is filling it makes a GRRRR sounds. Loud and reverberating around the house.

When I google to find a possible reason I read posts suggesting replacing seals and diaphragms. But this is a new fill valve, so I presume all the soft rubber parts should be in good condition.

The previous valve was also Korky, and worked fine for years.

Any suggestions on what could be going on?

I notice mine do that if we don't open the water connection valve enough. If I just barely turn the water on, it will make noise like that. Don't know if thats what they call water hammer or something else. But, once we open the water flow on up, the issue goes away.

Thanks Greg. I checked and the water connection valve is fully open. The search for truth continues!

The truth is out there. I agree it sounds like a restriction on water flow. Pinched hose/Sediment blocking/ etc

You might want to check the Korky internals for debris or maybe a factory oops
    Korky QuietFILL Toilet Fill Valve Maintenance - YouTube
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 06-14-2023 at 11:48 AM.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out later after work and report back.

Korky is supposed to be least water hammer. I installed it on a automatic pool filler. still had water hammer over 85PSI. with a factory restrictor washer. I jammed some small bore hoses down into the supply line and it solved the issue. I do not care about how long it takes to fill in that use.
    Bill D

Make sure you don't have a riser with a screen in it. I got called to fix a toilet that wouldn't fill up for one of Mother's very aged friends, and it was the only riser I've ever seen that had a screen in it. Made no sense to me, but that's what it was.

Blog Entries
    The noise you are hearing is called water hammer. You need to install water hammer arrestor near the toilet. Reducing the water pressure will also help eliminate the noise.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I haven't had a chance to work on this yesterday and I won't today either. When I do I'll look at reducing the water pressure and let you all know if that helps.
    Thanks for the advice.

Years ago I replaced a valve with a Korky one and it made a noise that obviously wasn't right. Can't remember if it was a "GRRRRR" sound. But I went back to the orange store and bought another one, exact same model. No problems after installing it. Took the first one back for a refund on my next trip.

I think a lot of us have gotten to expect that all the items we buy, epecially simplistic ones like this, are fully functional. And I learned my lesson on this a long time ago chasing other items in my tuneup job because I figured it couldn't be that new condenser in the distributor.

If it involves plumbing in any way shape or form, the problem doesn't go away until at least three trips are made to the store to buy/replace/return defective materials have been made.
    Or - a licensed plumber is called in and is paid enough blood money to finance a 7 day trip to Bimini....
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    If it involves plumbing in any way shape or form, the problem doesn't go away until at least three trips are made to the store to buy/replace/return defective materials have been made.
    Or - a licensed plumber is called in and is paid enough blood money to finance a 7 day trip to Bimini....
    my experience EXACTLY with every plumbing "adventure" . . . .

They sell a water hammer arrestor that goes on the supply line into the toilet. Easy 5-10 minute job if the supply line connections are good. Lowes has them in stock for about $30.00.
    They make similar with garden hose threads for the washing machine lines.
    Bill D.

https://www.amazon.com/Sioux-Chief-M...28519581&psc=1
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-17-2023 at 3:42 PM.

John, that sounds like a good idea - after all the valve we had in the toilet tank was the exact same Korky model.
    However, I turned down the shut-off valve to reduce the pressure and the sound has gone. Thanks for all the advice guys.