Thread: I need some smugness input...

I need some smugness input...

Yesterday, I happened onto Craigslist for something else and took a quick look at my saved search for drill presses. Low and behold, a new (assembled with a not-yet registered warranty) Powermatic PM2800B. I was able to get it for....$1150!! On the smugness scale from 1-10, where should my smugness fall? The seller was a wonderful guy who is reshaping his shop (new Felder K700, new minimax fs 41es, etc.). He had recently bought the PM2800 and decided he just didn't want to commit the floor space to it. He's a very knowledgable buyer and knew the value of the machine but was happy to sell it the day after he listed it!

Life is good!!

I think this falls under the "right place at the right time" Steve. Good for you! I've sold a couple things under potential value for a fast sale. Doubt he's hurting for cash.

Powermatic always has really nice stuff. I have a friend who owns the previous version of this drill. On his, it gets really noisy when driven at low rpm (like 400 RPM). Sounds like a bunch of metal pieces knocking around inside. The variable speed control is based on a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) that is similar to what you find in car CVT designs. I would try the drill out at 400-500 RPM. If it's still quiet, then your smugness is likely 9-10. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Catts View Post
    ..... He had recently bought the PM2800 and decided he just didn't want to commit the floor space to it. He's a very knowledgable buyer and knew the value of the machine but was happy to sell it the day after he listed it...
    Except no knowledge about the size of the DP before he bought it? That kind of "very knowledgeable"? Did you see all of those machines? Did the 2800 pass the "under power" test and the "runout test"?

I sincerely hope this works well - good score.

Sounds a bit odd, overall, but hey - what do I know?

"She caught the Katy, and left me a mule to ride". Love that Taj Mahal song, which intersects with your city's origin story.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Except no knowledge about the size of the DP before he bought it? That kind of "very knowledgeable"? Did you see all of those machines? Did the 2800 pass the "under power" test and the "runout test"?

I sincerely hope this works well - good score.

Sounds a bit odd, overall, but hey - what do I know?

"She caught the Katy, and left me a mule to ride". Love that Taj Mahal song, which intersects with your city's origin story.

All great points. Runs perfectly. Spindle runout is really good...virtually none. The two new machines were sitting there loud and proud. I think he has a very different view of spending money than many of us do!

Do not break the table moving it. Good score. I smile to myself every time I use my walker turner 20" drill press with VFD. The six inch stroke is nice. I did not want the noise and wearing internal parts of a used reeves drive machine.
    That wt drill press is why Delta bought out walker turner, just to be able to rebadge the dp.
    Bill D

I made a simple base for mine because I am 6'2" tall. Raises it up on an open front box, made from a solid core door, that is just tall enough for #10 cans to fit inside. cans are full of nuts, bolts, nails as ballast.
    Bill D

All great points. Runs perfectly. Spindle runout is really good...virtually none. The two new machines were sitting there loud and proud. I think he has a very different view of spending money than many of us do!

Well played, Steve, well played indeed !!
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Nice! Must have been the one I saw listed on CL in the Dallas area for $1,200. Great price.

I prefer to buy my used machines from retired doctors and dentists.

Right place, right time x2. Sometimes a seller's motivation is less about money and more about getting rid of something quickly.