Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Active noise reducing hearing protection

I use a few different pairs for shooting but prefer isotoon pro aware for the shop(depending on what im doing) The shooting muffs dont have music unless you use a cable

The Fine WW podcast had a show a couple months ago with an audiologist and two folks from ISOtunes where they talked about hearing protection in the workshop, including the difference and pros and cons of active vs passive, how to interpret the various types of noise reduction ratings, and other related issues. One of the interesting points they made was that muffs with active noise reduction are required to be tested at the ratings lab with the active noise reduction turned off, because the assumption is the batteries will die and often won't be replaced right away, especially on a job site.

Another interesting point concerned muffs that allow you to listen to music (or whatever) and the importance of limiting the volume to 85 db because that's the generally accepted maximum safe threshold for long term safe exposure.

Anyway, worth a listen if you're shopping for new hearing protection.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blog Entries
    I have Bose QC15 for the airplane. They are freakishly effective. I can hear conversations several rows away when people think the engine noise affords them privacy. Once I head a man and woman talking about him cheating on his wife and what they were going to do to each other in great detail. Talk about Too Much Information!