Thread: Update on my Mr. Cool Mini-Split

Update on my Mr. Cool Mini-Split

I installed a mini-split from Mr. Cool in the summer of 2020. Mine was the 3rd-generation, 12,000 BTU, unit that runs on 115v. (My shop's sub-panel was full and I couldn't run a 220v circuit for the mini-split.) My shop is small (about a 1-car garage size), but it's located in Mesa, Arizona. So, 12,000 BTUs is a bare minimum. When it's 115 degrees outside, the mini-split will keep the temperature below 85 degrees inside the shop. Frankly, I was thrilled.

This past April, I noticed that the mini-split wasn't cooling. (Yes, we need A/C in April!) It was about time for our various A/C units to receive their annual service, so I arranged for that. My tech told me that the Mr. Cool's mini-split's compressor had died and needed to be replaced. This was disappointing.

However, the unit was still under warranty so I emailed Mr. Cool's customer service department. The process went very smoothly. Under the tutelage of one of Mr. Cool's warranty tech's, I performed some basic tests with my multi-meter. The tests showed that the compressor was dead and needed to be replaced. Mr. Cool sent me a new condenser (the entire outside unit), all I had to pay was about $115 shipping. The new condenser is a slightly different, upgraded, version of my old one. The new condenser came with a new line-set, so I could have installed it myself. However, I opted to have my A/C tech install it at a cost of $120. It was over 95 degrees today and the shop never got over 74 degrees. I'm a happy camper again.

Bottom line: Mr. Cool honored their warranty. The warranty process went very smoothly. Am I happy that the old compressor failed after 3 years? No, of course not. However, I'm very pleased with how Mr. Cool resolved the situation.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

I'm glad you had a good warranty experience, David. They were good with me when I had some issues with my install (my fault for sure) and it's good to see they honored the warranty, which is one of the best in the industry.

While our weather conditions are different here in SE PA, I'm just now starting to use my unit for cooling and actually had to turn it up to a much higher temp to keep things from being too cold. LOL I technically don't need cooling right now, but during the recent Canadian wildfire smoke issues plus being in the middle of finishing a large table top, it's made sense to run it for the moment.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...