Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: easy-to-remove double sided tape

easy-to-remove double sided tape

I'm looking for a brand of double sided tape to use with templates on the router table. I had a great brand some time ago, but it seems to have gotten used up and I've forgotten the name of it. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Today I used whatever was in our tape box to make a 3/4" MDF template from an earlier 1/4" MDF template. It stuck, that's for sure. But I'm having a time removing it. When I use the 3/4" template on my bubinga board, I want to make sure it will come off easily.

What's the secret?

Many thanks.

I like Spectape

Careful what you wish for. I could come off easily while routing!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Careful what you wish for. I could come off easily while routing!
    Yes, that could be a risk, one that I want to avoid. In my search I found this:

https://www.amazon.com/XFasten-Doubl...a-569646549279

Says it's optimized for woodworking, including routing with a template. Here's the hype:

• Silicone-based adhesive allows the double stick woodworking tape to be stable yet removable, residue-free and not damage the wood’s delicate surface, EMPOWERING the AVERAGE AMERICAN WOODWORKER to produce NEAT and PRO projects.

Anyone hear of it or use it?

I use what the Krenov School used a few years ago: Intertape 591. It does take some effort to remove, but you don't want it to come off when you are template routing or shaping. It's the only thing limiting your depth of cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post

Says it's optimized for woodworking, including routing with a template. Here's the hype:

• Silicone-based adhesive allows the double stick woodworking tape to be stable yet removable, residue-free and not damage the wood’s delicate surface, EMPOWERING the AVERAGE AMERICAN WOODWORKER to produce NEAT and PRO projects.

FWIW, Fine Woodworking just had a paragraph on that in their new product column. They said good things. (I don’t know if they get paid to endorse products in that column though.)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I've used the XFasten Carpet tape for years with no problems. It's 2" wide rather than 2.5, and it's cheaper.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Intertape 591 is my choice. 591 is typically used on golf grips. It separates after use reasonably easy with a putty knife and leaves no obvious residue. It is pressure sensitive so is advisable to clamp your work together for a few seconds for best results. I use the 3/4" wide version but other widths are available.
    (note: just now looking at the XFasten product and it appears to be less expensive than 591.)
    Last edited by Dwayne Watt; 06-16-2023 at 8:19 AM.

I avoid tape whenever I can, and use Festool / similar clamps, slid into a 1/2" hole drilled into the edge of the template. Added benefit is that a couple of these clamps gives you something to hold onto.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I like Spectape
    Ditto on the Spectape
    But there are two kinds: paper and cloth(like)
    Ive only use the cloth tape and it is twice as expensive as the paper tape. But it does stick very well.
    On smaller pieces of material you separate them by rotating one against the other because the tape has no (or not very much) strength against shearing forces.
    Prying the pieces apart is a lot more difficult.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Decent double sided (carpet) tape is necessarily going to be mo-difficult to remove. An alternative to consider is the super glue and painter's tape method which is reliable and leaves no residue on the template or workpiece.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

past used 3M stuff always fine, at one point didnt have time for the regular supplier and got some home depot stuff that was 3M bit thinner but worked great. I can find a part number. If you want less stick from tape you can drag it across your pant leg before you use it. Some car builders do that. Never had an issue removing tape. All tape has a shelf life 3M green auto tape lasts longer than one other brand. Having trouble getting 3M green now been offered Yellow or one other brand and said no to the other past peeling it off more than annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I like Spectape
    I have found that I like this product better than X Fasten

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post

I refuse to use anything that says silicone in the wood shop. Silicone contamination on wood makes for a horrible time putting on a finish. Fish-eye is the result and it's a mess to take care of.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-16-2023 at 4:29 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

I bought some x-fasen tape on Amazon. I don't like it. It is too rubbery. Hard to cut with some scissors. I use it on my CNC. I think I got a 3 pack because it was cheaper than Spectape. Once it is gone, I am done with it.