Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Third world tenoning, is this safe?!?

Third world tenoning, is this safe?!?

This just popped up on my youtube browsing and kind of make me pretty darn concerned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEcVlmeUBF8

What are your thoughts?

The way it's being done in that video? No way that's safe. Especially raising the board into the blade is just asking for a catch. But having no guards is just a terrible idea.

However with guards and the proper fence, I could see how this cut can be made safely. There's a Japanese woodworker with a similar setup on his table saw and the way he makes these same cuts looks much safer.

Health, wealth, and comfort change one’s perspective on what is “safe.” There is a lot of work done around the world by hungry people that would cause desk-riding policy wonks a stroke.

Personally, I don’t think it’s that bad. He was keeping his fingers back from the blade. Mechanical safety devices can fail. I find it’s better to train one’s brain to map out what can go wrong, how to prevent it if possible, and how to react to something going sideways.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

The graveyard is filled with people who are safe. Those of us that are alive are always at risk. Living is about managing risk.

That tenoning operation is dangerous, as is everything else that you do. How dangerous? depends a lot on the person doing it. Skiing down a mountain is more dangerous for me ( I don't ski ) than it would be for an Olympic skier. Same mountain, same equipment, same outcome if you screw up.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
    This just popped up on my youtube browsing and kind of make me pretty darn concerned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEcVlmeUBF8

What are your thoughts?
    Third world? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMvmlUKl3EU at about 11:50. Tipping the piece as in the first video is unnecessary, but the tenoning table is a nice feature and safe enough if used with care. A hold-down would make it safer.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 06-17-2023 at 11:39 AM.

Blog Entries
    I certainly wouldn’t do anything like this. Did you notice the bushing on the left side of the blade that limited how far the board could go?

A Tokiwa or similar saw-tenoner is on my wish list, expensive to import from Japan.Would be handy for a lot of joinery. Never Stop Building built his own.
    https://www.neverstopbuilding.com/tenon-cutter
    Not third world at all.

Not as scary to me as someone using a cross-cutting sled with no safety box on the back.

I also don’t see a problem with his technique.
    I think a bandsaw is a better choice. If they can’t afford shoes they probably can’t afford a bandsaw
    Aj

In 1960s I worked in a shop, (old factory) that had a similar machine . I think it was foot operated, and the cut done in a slot.
    It was old then , building was from 1890s. Three stories, floors had spots worn all the way through.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Third world? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMvmlUKl3EU at about 11:50. Tipping the piece as in the first video is unnecessary, but the tenoning table is a nice feature and safe enough if used with care. A hold-down would make it safer.
    I think the tipping is to make the cut straight instead of curved. I see the top is tipped to a mark the lower edge is just done by feel. His tipping seemed very consistant.
    Bill D

Not third world, not dangerous, (depending on the operator) and the tipping is not advised.
    These are quite common in other countries. Here is a page with some good photos of one.
    https://www.bigsandwoodworking.com/m...%88%B8-part-2/

The language in the title of the video is Marathi.
    So it's a good bet that they are located somewhere in south India. Maybe Kerala, Tamil Nadu, or Karnataka? You can decide for yourself if this is the third world or not.

Occupational health and safety is not much of a priority in India. Even if you see nothing wrong with this video, I will bet good money a short walk around their shop would horrify you. Pretty much everyone will be either barefoot or wearing sandals called chappals.
    It's not that they don't have the money for basic safety practices, its that it is not a priority worth spending money on in their eyes.

Well I sure wouldn't do it.

But I have seen an old timer with all ten fingers do tenons with two blades and a spacer (tenon thickness) stacked on a shaper and the tenon cut using a crosscut guide from the table saw. Looked very scary, but it was really safe enough with due caution due to lack of guards exercised. The freehand part of that vid is what I found alarming, but it does look like he has plenty of practice at it.

That's the next you tube video that follows the video in this thread.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)