Thread: Protecting log during multi week slabbing

Protecting log during multi week slabbing

I'm working on slabbing a very large sycamore about 50" x 20' and don't have the resources to complete it quickly. I've only been able to recruit help for half a Saturday twice..

Last Saturday when I came back to take another several passes at it, it had started to check in the sun. This time I threw a tarp over it thinking it would increase the humidity and decrease the drying rate, but maybe there is a better thing to do? I'm hoping that I can mostly finish it next Saturday, as I'd really like to get this thing out of the guys yard.

I realize I could just call that bit a loss but I only get about 2 passes per chain and it's about 45 minutes per cut.

If it were in your yard, you could turn a sprinkler on it to keep it wet but that's probably not an option where it is. The tarp may help, if it doesn't mold underneath. Another option would be to apply end grain sealer to the face of your last cut to slow down the evaporation. By any means, keep the sun off it.

Two 20 ft cuts in a 50" log is pretty darned good with one chain. How in the world are you moving those slabs?

John

Blog Entries
    I use any old fabric I can get a hold of to cover log ends and partially sawn logs. I keep them wet with a pump sprayer if a hose is not available. If I can not wet them often I cover the wet fabric with plastic sheeting. Wouldn't a mill pond be a wonderful thing.

Hmm, Ok, I'll add mill pond to my list of wants on a new house...

I'll see if I can get my dad to stop by and wet it every couple days.

If I were to paint the whole thing, I'm looking at a couple gallons of anchor seal.

On moving the slabs I'm knocking them down to two 8 footers and a 4 footer. The tree is nicely angled so I toss some 3' chunks of PVC under it and it self loads. I'm just sliding them out of the trailer onto the bole.

Blog Entries
    As John mentioned, if it is covered, mold will probably set in within a week. Down in the Mark Twain National Forrest in the Missouri boot heel there are many a big log pile continually being sprayed with sprinklers waiting to be sawn. I have not been down that way for a few years. I always enjoyed seeing the mills, log piles, and charcoal ovens.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 06-21-2023 at 9:17 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice