Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PSA: Woodworker's Supply / Woodtek Machinery Closing

That's too bad, sorry to see them go. In need to order some sanding sleeves I guess, that is the one thing I still buy from them (for a Woodtek sander).

I can't say as I'm surprised however. I used to buy mortiser bits from them, either Star-M or Nakahashi. When they ceased carrying them I was lucky to find I could special order them (the auger only not the set) through Lee Valley as well. This was a couple years after they ceased carrying Woodtek at all - Many of the Woodtek machines looked like ones Grizzly also carried, so I always suspected they were from the same factory with different paint. I kind of wondered at them discontinuing that line of products, it wasn't as sexy as Delta or whatever, but the lower price point brought customers into the store, and it was serviceable stuff.

The two machines I have are their heavy mortiser and a drum/flap sander. Both excellent machines for imports.

I don't think it was the pandemic. ABQ Exotic Woods seems to have made it through that just fine and they were a much less well established business. Better management is my guess.

I think it's true hobbies are shrinking due to culture changes and technology. But I also think some things are coming full circle. When I was a kid, many moms were stay-at-home moms who sewed, cooked, knitted, crocheted, and served as Cub Scout Den Mothers. In the 80s most of that went away as most moms went to work. I can't remember the last time I talked to anyone who sewed their own clothes. I don't know of any sewing centers currently in business in my area.

Surprisingly, more moms are again becoming stay-at-home moms due to the challenges of child care and just being tired of being stressed out. One of the things to make a big comeback is making bread at home. Who would have thought? One of my high school classmates owns an Alpaca farm. She makes and sells Alpaca yarn and does pretty well. Somebody is using that yarn to knit and it's not industrial factories.

I'm also hearing about more young people getting into woodworking. There sure are a lot of woodworking channels on YouTube and there's no way it's only old guys watching those videos. Some of the YouTube woodworking hosts are women which I think is great. The whole pallet wood thing is definitely absurd. I think most people quickly figure out it's a waste of time. (Was it the Bourbon Moth guy who demonstrated the best way to remove nails from pallet wood by setting it on fire?)

Dads are expected to spend more time with their kids now as compared to generations past. One of the first indicators of this I recall was the closing of the Golf Resort at Walt Disney World. When the Golf Resort opened in 1973, it wasn't uncommon for Dad to play golf all day while Mom took the kids to the Magic Kingdom park. A lot of dads didn't want to stand in line and sit on "kiddie rides" all day. But this was quickly changing. Occupancy at this resort was never great and by the 1980s it was rethemed. Eventually, Disney gave up and sold the resort to the Department of Defense for military members. It's now called, "Shades of Green".

As part of the full circle thing, now I get the impression dads are expected to be more handy. Hiring professionals to do things around the house has not only become ridiculously expensive, it's downright difficult to find a contractor who is reliable and shows up to do quality work. So now dad has to buy a table saw and build those shelves in the kids' rooms and down in the basement. When I go to my local Woodcraft, the customers I see there are mostly younger guys. And a lot of them are with their wives and girlfriends talking about a project they want to do. I think that's great. Last month I bought a SawStop. The manager told me he was selling a LOT of those saws recently. I think that's also great.

I don't know why this particular business went under, but I'm not sure a lack of interest was a factor.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 06-26-2023 at 2:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    i'm sorry to hear they're closing.

I bought my Unisaw from them. Centerpiece of the shop.

PHM

Anyone remember the Leichtung woodworking catalog? Did the company go out of business or was it bought out. Haven't thought of Leichtung in years, but some reason this thread made me recall the catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Anyone remember the Leichtung woodworking catalog? Did the company go out of business or was it bought out. Haven't thought of Leichtung in years, but some reason this thread made me recall the catalog.
    I remember it. Kinda ironic that Woodworkers Supply bought them out, eh ?

While strolling down memory lane I also saw (remember):

Trend-Lines
    Constantines
    Garrett Wade
    Sears Tools

only catalog I still receive is a gem from Highland Woodworking.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I still have and use several Leichtung floor mats that I bought from them many years ago.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

My little workbench came from Leichtung in 1977. It was the first time I ever saw free shipping as a sales promotion.