Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSA: Woodworker's Supply / Woodtek Machinery Closing

PSA: Woodworker's Supply / Woodtek Machinery Closing

Sad news - Woodworker's Supply, a 50 year mail order/online woodworking supplier is shutting down August 25th.
    Very kind of them to send me a notice of this. They were somewhat like Grizzly, in that they sold shapers, saws, drill presses and the like in their heyday. Anyone who may have purchased second hand/inherited any Woodtek machines, this is your last call to pick up any spare parts they have left on hand.
    Here's the content of their message:

Attention

Our records indicate that you've made a purchase from us for Woodtek Machinery or Parts in the past. Unfortunately, Woodworker's Supply Inc. will end operations on August 15th. It is imperative that you reach out to us for any spare or replacement parts needed before our operations come to an end.

Please give us a call at 1-800-645-9292.

Thank you for being a loyal customer.

Sincerely,
    Woodworker's Supply Inc.

jeff

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Sad news. There is a Woodworker's Supply showroom/warehouse here in town that got a lot of my money over the years. I was in there a few months ago; very little machinery and a lot of empty shelving. I knew then & there that it's days were numbered.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries

I don't buy any business less than $10M!

I used to buy a lot from them over the years and occasionally do now. Hate to see another source lost to us.

Sorry to see them go. They were always a pleasure to do business with. I'm sure the pandemic did them in. I'm using a fair number of pieces of Woodtek equipment, and no complaints with any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Sorry to see them go. They were always a pleasure to do business with. I'm sure the pandemic did them in. I'm using a fair number of pieces of Woodtek equipment, and no complaints with any of it.

Don't know about that - ( pandemic part )

It appears (one of) the founders past and there was no succession plan in place.

These are some tough economic times for many small to medium size companies. Covid was just the beginning, the view ahead of us looks pretty bad.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-21-2023 at 12:45 PM.

They were a great company. I used to travel near the New Mexico store and always stopped in to get stuff. The analogy to Grizzly is good.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Thee are some tough economic times for many small to medium size companies. Covid was just the beginning, the view ahead of us looks pretty bad.
    I feel the future of the entire hobby of woodworking looks bleak. Baby boomers are dying at an ever increasing rate. We are the ones with money that can still buy nice materials and machines. Look at all the beginning woodworkers using pallets as a wood source. Young family men are expected to spend more time with the kids, not disappear into the basement for the entire night like most boomers did. Just pick up a Fine Woodworking from the late 80s and see how many of those companies are still around. It will boil down to Amazon as the main supplier in short order.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I feel the future of the entire hobby of woodworking looks bleak. Baby boomers are dying at an ever increasing rate. We are the ones with money that can still buy nice materials and machines. Look at all the beginning woodworkers using pallets as a wood source. Young family men are expected to spend more time with the kids, not disappear into the basement for the entire night like most boomers did. Just pick up a Fine Woodworking from the late 80s and see how many of those companies are still around. It will boil down to Amazon as the main supplier in short order.
    Yes, another factor is that just about all hobbies have suffered since the explosion of the internet.
    More people have gaming/streaming/watching TV as hobbies as opposed to something like woodworking.
    That's fine, that's their choice.. not shaming anyone.. but the reality is.. just about all hobbies have shrunk.
    I mean, Delta used to be a thriving machinery company.. now it's gone, along with Porter cable and others.
    Woodworker's supply has been slowly dying over the last 3 years or so. Their inventory has really shrunk. I got the same email, was not surprised at all.
    They have some stuff on clearance on their website. Mostly just odd lots, but maybe there's something you guys can use there.

At one point we had a Woodworkers Warehouse close to me. There just weren't enough customers to keep it open. They also had a less expensive line of tools, the Reliant brand. As the end came close it was the same thing. Empty shelves. Back then buying off of the internet wasn't like it is now. So I don't think it's a COVID thing. I'm wondering if Rockler and Woodcraft will not suffer the same fate.

Back in the day, Woodworker's Supply was our first choice vendor. Their presence caused other vendors to lower their prices to be competitive. Salesman came by shop at least twice a month. For multiple years, they chartered FREE bus trips to IWF, paid our admission, discounted hotel rooms, etc, plus reception. Sadly, bus was never full. There should have been a waiting list! With most "mom and pop" cabinet shops closing (mine included- retired,) their customer base slowly disappeared. Business models change. My wood supplier when I was in business, no longer wants me, or other hobbiest to grace their doors. Even though I was a small shop, they did everything they could to fill my needs. As an example, I needed two special hinges for one cabinet. Sales person got vendor to send me two as a sample, otherwise I would have needed to order 500 pairs. That's service above and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    At one point we had a Woodworkers Warehouse close to me. There just weren't enough customers to keep it open. They also had a less expensive line of tools, the Reliant brand. As the end came close it was the same thing. Empty shelves. Back then buying off of the internet wasn't like it is now. So I don't think it's a COVID thing. I'm wondering if Rockler and Woodcraft will not suffer the same fate.
    I imagine any retailer that carries the same products as you can buy on Amazon is going to have a tough row to hoe. I'd guess that anyone selling products you can't easily buy on Amazon like Lee Valley/Veritas or Lie Nielsen should be okay as long as they recognize their target market isn't huge and manufacture accordingly.

Too bad. I remember when they started in Albuquerque. Small store in a strip center. Than moved out by Coronado airport. Spent lots of $s 35 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    These are some tough economic times for many small to medium size companies. Covid was just the beginning, the view ahead of us looks pretty bad.
    That could very well be true.

I have two mom & pop woodworking near me that compete(d) with Woodworker's and both of them are doing just fine:

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/

https://www.ptreeusa.com/

plus, the local Woodcrafts and Rocklers are doing just fine as walk in locations too.