Thread: A simple sewing table top, and why I like this craft.

A simple sewing table top, and why I like this craft.

About eight years ago I helped pull four, poison ivy covered, walnut logs out of the woods, next to someone's house, and onto a flat bed trailer. They were milled, stacked, and allowed to air dry since that time. This is a result;
    2BDE6A3F-8102-462F-801C-5D21D255614B.jpg
    The top is 1-3/4" thick and 22"x59". and yep, it's big and heavy, but that machine head installed weighs about 70lbs. not counting the motor mounted underneath the top. For those on the forum with other "hobbies" that is an older, Adler industrial, walking foot, leather sewing machine, installed. It will put a needle through 3/8" of leather.
    The top has to be big, and heavy to accommodate the weight and size of the machine head, and the horse blankets I repair on it, as well as small things around the house. If you ever want to make your own leather, or canvas, tool rolls, this setup is perfect.
    Eventually it will have flip up outfield tables attached to the back, and the side closest in the photo. Horse blankets can be big, and heavy. For now it is usable, and the wood to make the flip up tables is in the basement stabilizing until I'm ready to make them.

Last fall the table started out as some rough cut board out of this pile.
    E55DDDE7-1C82-4F17-AD4C-B9A4456DF0C8.jpg

Th boards were brought into the basement and stabilized with the wood stove running all winter and the dehumidifier going in the spring. The machine will reside in the basement, and the wood was only out of the basement for about a week, so it should be at equilibrium,
    It's fulfilling, this "craft or hobby" of wood working. Start out with a log in the woods, that was probably going to rot into the ground, and make it into something lasting and useful.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 06-22-2023 at 3:12 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

That is a nice tabletop and a very nice sewing set-up. I’ve hand-sewed a couple simple leather items and really enjoyed it. A set-up like yours is on my “when I have a place with more space” list.

From the woods to practical use and in a nicely executed form! Well done, Mike!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Belongs in the living room!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra