Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extension Cords For The Shop

Extension Cords For The Shop

I need a few more cords for the shop. What's a nice flexible brand / type I should get? These would prob be 20' and maybe 25'.
    WoodsShop

I like SOOW cords: https://www.menards.com/main/electri...483-c-6410.htm

Perhaps overkill, but hard to beat that heavy/quality feel.

SOW 10/3 four together is 100 feet

yeah I don't need heavy duty, these would be for routers, sanders Etc.

what weight cord for these type of tools, 10/4, 14/3, Etc?
    Last edited by Joe Wood; 06-24-2023 at 12:28 PM.
    WoodsShop

Blog Entries
    My favorite is an unbranded red cord promoted by and bearing the name of one of our local lumber yards. Its 12 gauge with the same feel and features as flexzilla, springy and soft, resists kinks, twisty-ness, and memory, stays soft when cold and is tough. I keep meaning to ask the yard the brand. It is a doppelgänger for Flexzillz except for the color. It is 10 -15 years old.

I've been happy with these nice 12 gauge cords from one of our favorite retailers. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...d?item=99W7546

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd McKinlay View Post
    I've been happy with these nice 12 gauge cords from one of our favorite retailers. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...d?item=99W7546
    I have a few of those as well and really like them. My shop is small so 15’ is typically plenty for handheld power tools, etc.
    Still waters run deep.

my neighbour burned out her electric mower going too far on undersize cords. After id put the four cords together and she could plug in from there. Yes these are heavy. Never had one tangle or be a pain and they dont care about the cold. ILl try and few of the lee ones as well wasnt aware of them.

Blog Entries
    I pick up whatever is reasonably priced. Costco had some 12ga cords for a good price recently. I have also picked up Harbor Freight cords and added my own ends to them. These "cords" have been in use for nearly 20 years without issue. Poor quality cords can be dangerous but, a reasonable quality cord with a good quality end can provide years of safe service.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have used these for years, including pretty severe job site conditions. They behave pretty well and stay flexible.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-2...-057/202522926

No point in using #12 extension cords in the shop for portable tools, which will draw probably 4-8 amps.

Dan Friedrichs' option looks good, particularly for replacing tool cords with longer ones, which I do a lot. I'm going to order some.

Joe, make up your own from the heavy rubber coated cable you can buy by the foot and use quality connectors. You can't beat them. That said, if you can also grab an "on sale" 10 or 12 gage 50' extension cord at the borg, cut it up and put new connectors on of the type you need to make up multiple extension cords. I've done that multiple times to serve a custom need with no issue. Just be careful stripping the cover so you don't nick a conductor.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The best wire I've found comes off a reel and is sold by the foot. You probably have the stuff to make up the rest of it lying around.

BF55C816-8E70-417E-9A9A-7FCF16FCDD35_1_201_a.jpg
    Kindness Every Day......All Day

Blog Entries
    2nd favorite is a homemade 30 footer, 12 gauge, genuine rubber cord, with twin two gangs on the female end. Unfortunately genuine rubber cord only lasts 30-40 years.

IMG_1412.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 06-24-2023 at 7:12 PM. Reason: image
    Best Regards, Maurice

I buy lots of the orange colored extension cords from Lowe's. Any were from 15 ft. to 50 ft. They're inexpensive and come in handy. I have also made up more heavy duty cords from SO cord.

David

#14 is fine for 15 amps, so hand held tools, lights etc. Fine for your short cords with vac and routers.
    #12 for 20amps
    #10 is 30 amps.
    BilLL D