Thread: Shop Air Distribution

Shop Air Distribution

I originally installed schedule 40 steel piping to distribute air in my shop. I'd like to expand the system and perhaps convert to some sort of plastic piping. A quick search turns up lots of offerings. Anyone have experience with this type of air line and or suggestions of brands to consider or stay clear of?
    Thanks
    Robert

Rapidair user here. Generally good, would use again. Used both their coiled Rapidair and pipe sections of Fastpipe. Easy to work with, fittings were reliable - but follow the instructions exactly.

I now have access to a copper Propress compression tool, would evaluate cost of Rapidair vs copper with Propress fittings. (I am not a pipe solderer!).

NOTE: Rapidair coils are difficult to get straight if you're using them along walls / straight runs. There is a tool to straighten it they sell, as well as a plan for a DIY tool out there. I used it inside walls so didn't really matter much.
    Last edited by Josh Molaver; 06-27-2023 at 11:50 AM.

Don't use plastic pipe for compressed air UNLESS specifically made for it, like the Rapidair system.

Ron

I placed Rapid Air under my slab after I thought I had done my due diligence. Following build (well end still in process) I had found a number long term Rapid Air users were having deterioration of their product after a number of years. This is anecdotal but I don't think you will ever have that chance of deterioration with additional schedule 40.

I used 3/4 type M copper pipe with sweat fittings when I moved my compressor from my garage shop to an out building. Copper was quite a bit cheaper a few years ago than now. I think 3/4 M was around $1.80 a foot at Lowes buying ten or more 10' lengths with the bulk discount. My total usage was just under 150'. Have plans to add another drop from the ceiling to the lathe and will use copper again.

Had RapidAir in my garage for the last 10 years. Whole system was about $120 for several drops. Easy to install.

Thanks for the feedback. My original system was used mainly to blow chips off machine tools so air quality wasn't a big issue. Lately I and a metal sculptor who's sharing shop space are using more and more air powered tools which at least to my thinking want cleaner air so nonferrous lines are of interest. In my former life having to deal with a hole in the roof of a 20 ft eve height building due to an errant end cap launched off a filter which wasn't purged of air made me aware of the sorts of things that uncontrolled air can do so that's why again, I appreciate the tips.
    Robert