Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acceptable vibration?

John, it sounds like you could greatly benefit from joining a woodturning club and possibly taking a general class or two. There are half a dozen listed in NJ (Howell, Moorestown, Mahwah, Roseland, Layton, Cape May) and probably several more across state lines depending upon where you reside. The AAW website has a chapter search function. Google AAW and go from there.

Dwayne, I've checked. There's nothing local to me - Layton maybe just under an hour. I took a class at the woodcraft closest to me (about an hour into PA) when I first purchased my lathe but it was very basic. I've since hurt my lower back and I can work and walk but sitting and driving is horrible so I avoid it (getting to my shop is just a short walk down the stairs and into the shop after coffee in the morning - no driving).

I'm doing OK though, I've taught myself how to use the skew thanks to some online resources (Alan Lacer, Alan Batty, Richard Raffan, etc), I'm ok with gouges and understand the concepts as well as can be expected without 1 on 1 guidance. Thank you for the suggestion though.