Thread: Lake Erie Toolworks blades

Lake Erie Toolworks blades

I received my order this past week of 2 replacement blades for LN block plane and my#4 bronze smoother.
    My two most used planes.
    The CPM powered metal is really tough stuff. Thank god the backs came perfectly flat. I used my Tormek with black silicone stone to grind a hollow for my #4. It does have a different feel on Shapton pro stones I like so far. I’ve seen no chipping of the edges.
    I think it’s better steel then A2.
    Anyone else get their order this month?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Interesting….and pricey!! $80 for a 2” blade. I would be curious to see a comparison against PM-V11 from Veritas.

Left click my name for homepage link.

That's the CPM Magnacut steel. If you're interested in its development, check out its developer's, Larrin Thomas, design story.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/03/25/cpm-magnacut/

There's another powder metallurgy plane iron in the market, made using CPM 10V. The steel composition is not a brand new design, it's been around for a while. The iron is $50.

https://dfmtoolworks.com/products/cpm-10v-2-plane-blade

The consensus among woodturners is that there may be slight differences in the various CPM steels from a metallurgical viewpoint, the differences are hard to quantify in actual application. As an avid woodturner and user of a couple of the major CPM tool steels I agree.

My guess is that applies here as well, and the real comparison among various blades may have more to do with flatness, cost, etc.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    There's another powder metallurgy plane iron in the market, made using CPM 10V. The steel composition is not a brand new design, it's been around for a while. The iron is $50.

https://dfmtoolworks.com/products/cpm-10v-2-plane-blade
    Been using it for years for tooling components (dies and pins) at my powder metal fabrication plant. It is a lower cost alternative to carbide (for components mentioned), than carbide. Wear is not as good, but is much cheaper and easier for tool makers to machine. My concern is brittleness.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I didn’t know about CPM 10.
    I also didn’t know Lee Valley made a replacement blade for LN #4. This will be my 3 blade for my #4 the first two from LN A2. Some reason I thought everyone does as much hand planning and sharpening as I do. Maybe not?
    Lake Erie CPM is very tough it might give a newer woodworker trouble to sharpen. The good news once that hurdle is done nothing will stand in their way.
    Good Luck Happy 4 everyone
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I also didn’t know Lee Valley made a replacement blade for LN #4.
    Ron Hock sold out to them several months ago, so that may be the LV product source.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Thanks Kent for the heads up.
    I met Ron at woodworking show some years ago he’s a cool dude very nice guy. Although he did use some colorful language when I offered him 25$ for the James Krenov plane sitting on his table.
    Good Luck Always
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    ....I offered him 25$ for the James Krenov plane sitting on his table...
    "You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din"

When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Henry Eckert have been selling 10V blades in Australia for some years already: https://www.thetoolworks.com.au/pma11v-plane-blades/

Lee Valley do make a #4 replacement blade in PM- V11. I have one in a LN #3: https://www.leevalley.com/en-gb/shop...s?item=05P3192

Regards from Perth

Derek

I picked up a few last summer, and my second order came in last week as well. I live in Erie PA. It’s nice to run over and just pick up my order. Nick is a nice guy and I felt bad he had such troubles getting this batch out.

About the blades, I think they’re great. I value one in my 51 the most. They are very difficult to chip. Sharpening aside, I think they’re superior to pmv11. The downside is obviously the price, and yeah…they’re tough to sharpen. You really really want to get some slurry going on the stones before sharpening. I don’t let my secondary get half as big as usual before grinding as it simply takes too much time to reset a large secondary with these. Luckily I have a great grinding setup, thanks Derek.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Baney View Post
    I picked up a few last summer, and my second order came in last week as well. I live in Erie PA. It’s nice to run over and just pick up my order. Nick is a nice guy and I felt bad he had such troubles getting this batch out.

About the blades, I think they’re great. I value one in my 51 the most. They are very difficult to chip. Sharpening aside, I think they’re superior to pmv11. The downside is obviously the price, and yeah…they’re tough to sharpen. You really really want to get some slurry going on the stones before sharpening. I don’t let my secondary get half as big as usual before grinding as it simply takes too much time to reset a large secondary with these. Luckily I have a great grinding setup, thanks Derek.
    Good to hear Patrick. What stone are you using to build the slurry? Do mind sharing what your polishing stone is.
    I use all Shapton up to 12k. The best part of Lake Erie Toolworks it’s made in America.
    Aj

I use a shapton 16k for polishing. Ideally I’ll build slurry with the flattening plate, but probably more often I’ll use these little mini diamond plates from DMT. I think they’re called mini sharp or something. I think they come on a keychain? I just broke that piece off and use it like a nagura stone. I looked into actual nagura stones for a while but that market is kind of weird. The coarse mini sharp works great.