Thread: Screwing into 70 year old pine boards

Screwing into 70 year old pine boards

I need to install some sliding door guides over carpet and I need to screw through the carpet into 1 x 6 70 year old pine with #8 screw. Hoping I won't have to predrill? Brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    It makes a difference of whether the flooring is white pine or southern yellow pine. White pine will probably not split if self drilling screws are used. Yellow pine will split for almost any reason so drill pilot holes. To be perfectly safe from splits drill pilot holes. If there is structure or a woos/plywood sub-floor drill clearance holes in the pine and use longer screws to reach the plywood/structure below.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Predrill no matter in my opinion.

The bigger issue to deal with, take a razor knife and cut a big enough hole in the carpet to clear the drill bit and screw. If ya don't some of the carpet fiber can wrap around the bit or screw and start pulling it out from the carpet away from the door guide. Don't ask me how I know this!!!!

I've never drilled a pilot hole and said, "gee, I wish I hadn't bothered to drill the hole". Can't say that for the times I didn't drill a pilot hole!
    I also have had Darrell's carpet misfortune - good advice.

As Darrell said you have to worry before you even get to the pine. You haven't ever drilled through carpet? A twist drill or screw will grab the yarn in the carpet in pull a line for a foot before you get your finger off the switch. Use a box cutter and cut a hole in the carpet. Why is drilling a pilot hole a problem? Snapping off a screw is a lot more of a problem than drilling a pilot hole. You must be a young pup for insisting about not drilling a pilot hole. Us old timers had to drive screws by hand, you know, before cordless tools. A pilot hole was absolutely a requirement.

Pilot holes, clearance holes, countersinks and counterbores all warm the cockles of my heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    As Darrell said you have to worry before you even get to the pine. You haven't ever drilled through carpet? A twist drill or screw will grab the yarn in the carpet in pull a line for a foot before you get your finger off the switch. Use a box cutter and cut a hole in the carpet. Why is drilling a pilot hole a problem? Snapping off a screw is a lot more of a problem than drilling a pilot hole. You must be a young pup for insisting about not drilling a pilot hole. Us old timers had to drive screws by hand, you know, before cordless tools. A pilot hole was absolutely a requirement.
    Not a young pup. I knew the drill bit would be an issue in carpet, and hoping to avoid using it. Hoping to get away with the screw not pulling at the fiber too much. I need to install this with the longer screws first. Screws look like a drywall screw thread. Difficult to mark the hole locations and remove a small amount of carpet. Brian

https://www.swisco.com/Wardrobe-Door...-Guides/23-221
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    Cameron, thanks so much. Brian

plastic carpet, use a soldering iron.
    Bill D

Heard this from a friend when drilling carpet. Take a heavy-duty black coat hanger. Cut off a piece 3 or 4" long. Using a wire cutters, cut a very sharp angle on one end. Insert the other end in the drill and drill the hole in the carpet. I have used it numerous times and it worked great. I have also used it to drill thru the flooring next to a wall as a locator, when you want to drill a hole from the basement up into the center of the wall. It makes a small hole which is easy to cover. I keep several lengths of the hanger in my drill box. Has saved me many times throughout the years.

Blog Entries
    Here's another tip. If you are worried about snagging carpet fibers. Use a finishing nail as your drill bit. Cut the head off an appropriately sized finishing nail, put it in your drill chuck and tighten. Drill your hole. It will not grab your carpet. This also works for installing wood trim without cracking or splitting.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I installed 4 sets of these this morning. Riser then the nylon guides mounted to the riser. Scotch tape worked fine. Picked up a small amount of fiber, but not much. thanks everyone. Brian

riser.jpgriser1.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Brian