Thread: Yates American J180 Planer Value?

Yates American J180 Planer Value?

Hi, everyone.

Thank you for the add to this forum. Included in my dad’s estate was a Yates American J180 planer, which I believe has an 18” throat from what I’ve read. I haven’t cleaned it up yet, but wanted to include some pics anyway (please see attached). It appears to be complete. I did plug it in, hit the start button and she quietly hummed to life like she was shut off yesterday. I’d love to keep her around for future projects, but as the Executor, my duty is to raise money for the estate first and foremost. I’ve seen a couple like it listed for $1250.00 and $1500.00 Just wondering if these prices are in the ballpark. Obviously, she has some patina to her and could use a cleaning, but I think everything is there.

If anyone knows about these, would you mind to let me know if you see anything missing in the pics and if the prices mentioned above would be an accurate starting point? If it matters, the planer is located in the Hudson Valley region of NY.

Thanks and have a great July 4th!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Given the rust, I expect you are a bit high. I looked at what has sold one the owwm forum; the ones in that range were unrusted daily users; but that was admiteddly pretty small sample. If it runs and the table goes up and down smoothly that is a help. Add the HP and whether it is 3 phase to any ad.
    Terry T.

I agree with terry.... seems a bit on the high side. the market will tell you

lou

As long as all cranks are there not much top go missing from a planer.
    Bill D

Yates

Casey,
    I had a J-180 and with a little cleanup and paint, it should be worth $1500.

Stevo

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Howard View Post
    Hi, everyone.

Thank you for the add to this forum. Included in my dad’s estate was a Yates American J180 planer, which I believe has an 18” throat from what I’ve read. I haven’t cleaned it up yet, but wanted to include some pics anyway (please see attached). It appears to be complete. I did plug it in, hit the start button and she quietly hummed to life like she was shut off yesterday. I’d love to keep her around for future projects, but as the Executor, my duty is to raise money for the estate first and foremost. I’ve seen a couple like it listed for $1250.00 and $1500.00 Just wondering if these prices are in the ballpark. Obviously, she has some patina to her and could use a cleaning, but I think everything is there.

If anyone knows about these, would you mind to let me know if you see anything missing in the pics and if the prices mentioned above would be an accurate starting point? If it matters, the planer is located in the Hudson Valley region of NY.

Thanks and have a great July 4th!
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 07-04-2023 at 9:56 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

FYI: In 1961 Delta bought out Yates and put their name on that model. Call it a wedge bed delta planer and probably get more money for it.
    BilL D